The Best Chicken Parmesan has the perfect fried, breaded coating and is smothered in marinara and fresh mozzarella cheese for ooey gooey classic comfort food perfection.
This recipe for a classic Chicken Parmesan is absolute perfection. You’ll want to be sure to use thin chicken breasts for this. If the chicken breasts you purchase are not already thin (which so many are nowadays), use a mallet to pound out your chicken to an even thickness that’s on the thinner side.
Next up in our recipe for comfort food perfection is the bread coating. It starts with a seasoned flour mixture, then gets dipped into beaten eggs, and finally rolled in seasoned bread crumbs. This recipe calls for a combination of panko bread crumbs AND regular dried bread crumbs. I find that it is the perfect combination to provide the ultimate crunchy combination. Be sure to use seasoned Italian style bread crumbs. If using plain, you’ll need to add in 1 1/2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning to the mix.
How do you keep chicken parmesan crispy?
If you want to give your chicken parmesan the ultimate crisp, wait to put the marinara sauce on until just before serving. This means that you will need to melt the mozzarella and parmesan cheese directly onto the fried chicken breast. Warm the marinara sauce before saucing the chicken for best results.
What kind of cheese do you use to make chicken parmesan?
Chicken Parmesan is made using a combination of mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Mozzarella provides the ooey gooey melted cheese factor, while parmesan adds a lot of flavor. For best results use both fresh mozzarella cheese and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Chicken Parmesan Serving Suggestion
You can serve Chicken Parmesan on a bed of cooked pasta of any shape. Coat your pasta with a little olive oil or melted butter to keep it from sticking together. Add an additional cup of marinara to this recipe when serving over pasta so that you have enough sauce to coat the pasta. For a more flavorful pasta option, try my Quick Brown Butter Garlic Angel Hair Pasta.
You can also serve your Chicken Parmesan by itself with a side of roasted vegetables, like my Roasted Broccoli, or a side salad.
Watch the video below where I walk you through every step of the recipe for a visual reference.
Best Chicken Parmesan
- 4 thin boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup Italian style bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
- Place out 3 shallow dishes. Fill the first with flour, salt, pepper and stir together. In the second dish whisk eggs. In the third dish stir together both bread crumbs, garlic powder, and ½ cup grated parmesan cheese.
- Coat the chicken breasts in the flour mixture, then dip into the egg mixture to coat, then roll in the bread crumb mixture until well coated. Set aside.
- Pour the olive oil into a heavy skillet and add in butter over medium high heat. Once butter has melted, add in chicken and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until chicken is browned on both sides. Transfer chicken to the lightly greased baking dish.
- Spread marinara on top of each chicken breast. Top each breast with two slices of mozzarella and sprinkle on remaining ¼ cup parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the preheated 450 degree oven until cheese is bubbly and browned and chicken is cooked through, 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve hot.