I’ve been known to use my slow cooker on occasion. Shoot, I did write a book on it which involved slow cookers on every surface in my kitchen every day for several months. So, when Hamilton Beach sent me their new Set ‘n Forget® 6 Qt. Programmable Slow Cooker to review I knew I’d have a thing or two to say about it.
1. It’s programmable. This is a must when it comes to a slow cooker. Seriously, you just shouldn’t even buy one nowadays unless it is programmable.
2. It has a built in thermometer that you can shove right into the meat so the slow cooker will turn to the warm setting once the desired temperature has been reached. Friends, that’s a pretty nice feature, especially for chicken. People are always overcooking chicken in the slow cooker and drying it out.
3. It’s got the snap on lid. If you’ve ever tried to transport food in a slow cooker you’ll know immediately why this is a genius feature. It even has a nice seal to go with those snaps so you can safely eliminate spillage during transport. Score!
4. It beeps after you program it so you actually know it is on. If you’ve ever come home to a cold slow cooker you’ll appreciate the beep.
1. The display can’t be read in direct sunlight. Not even really direct sunlight, just bright light. I just had it on my kitchen counter and had to cup my hand over the display to read it.
That’s really my only complaint. This is a quality slow cooker with some really nice extra features.
Want to win won for yourself? Scroll down to the end of this post for your chance to win!
Now on to the recipe!
I decided to bring you a really easy slow cooker dish for fall. One of my favorite fall flavor combos is beef and horseradish. Without being too wordy, let’s just say this is a killer sandwich and is really amazing on a pretzel roll.
Prep Time: <10 minutes
Slow Cooker Time: 8 hours
Serves: 6 to 8
1 (2 to 3 lb) beef roast
salt and pepper
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, sliced
1. Season the roast generously with salt and pepper. Heat a heavy skillet to high heat. Sear the roast on all sides. Transfer roast to a slow cooker.
2. Pour worcestershire sauce over the roast. Sprinkle crushed garlic over roast. Top with onion slices.
3. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
4. Shred beef.
5. Serve on rolls topped with prepared horseradish. Use as much or as little horseradish as suits your taste. I like it nice and spicy.
Now enter to win a fancy new slow cooker! In addition to the 1 grand prize of your own Set ‘n Forget® 6 Qt. Programmable Slow Cooker, I’m also giving away 3 copies of my book “Idiot’s Guide to Slow Cooker Cooking” so you’ll have plenty of recipes to use!
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!