This recipe came to me as many recipes do….while strolling the isles at the grocery store. This one happened in Costco. I found myself with an enormous amount of chicken tenders in my shopping cart. It’s Costco, so you know it was enough to feed my little family chicken fingers for a week. Let me tell you, they wouldn’t complain about that. I did some experimenting with all sorts of different versions of chicken fingers that the grown ups in the house could enjoy just as much as the kids.
You may also like some of my other plays on chicken strips and chicken nuggets like my Buffalo Chicken Nuggets, Grilled Thai Chicken Nuggets, Chip and Cheddar Chicken Strips, or maybe you’ll just enjoy my classic Baked Chicken Nuggets. They are all excellent and a great way to switch up your chicken strip or nugget routine.
This was a huge hit with the family. The chicken is nice and crisp and flavorful, and the dipping sauce is fun and healthy made with greek yogurt and all. I love making chicken strips for dinner because the require very little prep. Just coat and toss them in the oven. And no one ever complains about them. Everyone at the table is always a fan.
This chili-lime version has a nice zippy flavor that gives a nice twist on your standard strip. Utilizing both lime juice and lime zest is the key here. I know it’s kind of a lot to zest this many limes, but it’s worth it for that bright, clean, citrus flavor.
The dipping sauce in this recipe is a bonus. I love having something to dip my chicken in. This sauce is flavorful, brings out even more chili lime flavor, and uses greek yogurt as an added healthy bonus.
You may also notice I call for Ancho chili powder, but you can use any chili powder you want to change up this recipe and suite it to your own personal flavor preferences. I like how mild ancho chile powder is. You could use chipotle chili powder to bring some smoky heat, or use a regular standard chili powder for somewhere in between. There are actually tons of different kinds of chili powder out there so use one that you like!
Watch the video below where I walk you through every step of this recipe. I like to include videos with my recipes to help you at home in your own kitchen. Having a visual can be really helpful. You can watch the video below and check out my collection of over 270 videos over on YouTube. You can always search my Recipe Index here on the website to get more fabulous dinner ideas. Here at The Stay At Home Chef I’m all about restaurant quality recipes you can easily make at home so there’s sure to be something you’ll like.
Chili-Lime Baked Chicken Tenders
- 4 limes
- 2 pounds chicken tenders
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 3 teaspoons ancho chili powder divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 4-sided baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Zest the limes and place the zest in a small mixing bowl. Mix in panko bread crumbs, 1/2 tsp salt, and 2 tsp of chili powder. Toss together.
- Squeeze the juice of 3 of the limes into the butter.
- Working one at a time, dip the chicken tenders into the butter mixture, and then into the bread crumb mixture. Ensure that each piece of chicken gets a nice coating of bread crumbs.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 to 40 minutes.
- While the chicken tenders are baking, make a dipping sauce by combining greek yogurt, juice of 1 remaining lime, 1 tsp chili powder, and 1/4 tsp salt. Stir together until combined.
- Serve chicken strips hot with dipping sauce.
This recipe first appeared on The Stay At Home Chef on July 22, 2014
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!