White Chicken Chili gets some cajun flair with andouille sausage, shrimp, and cajun spices for a hearty white chili that will knock your socks off!
Are you ready to take your white chicken chili to a whole new level? This white chili is packed full of cajun goodness. It starts with some chicken and andouille sausage and then the cajun vegetable trinity are added in. You can’t have a good cajun chili without the trinity. Mix in some cajun style spice mix and some beans, thicken it up, and then finish it off with some shrimp and you’ve got yourself a white chili that is worthy of an award!
If you can’t find andouille sausage where you live, you can use another smoked pork sausage. When buying the shrimp for this recipe, choose shrimp that are on the smaller end, or cut your shrimp into pieces. Be sure that your shrimp is peeled and deveined and remove the tail before using it in this recipe.
What is the Holy Trinity in New Orleans cooking?The holy trinity of cajun New Orleans cooking is onion, celery, and bell pepper. It provides the base for many different cajun/creole dishes.
What spices are in andouille sausages?Andouille sausage is a Louisiana cajun style sausage made using pork, garlic, onions, and peppers. It is coarsely grained, stuffed into a casing, and smoked.
Heavy Cream & Dairy Free Substitutes:We love the creaminess and thickness from heavy cream, but you can substitute with half and half, which is a mixture of half cream and half whole milk.
If you want to keep this dish dairy free, you can use your preferred plant based milk, however it will not be as thick or creamy as with heavy cream or half and half.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious Cajun inspired recipes:
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Cajun White Chili
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 16 oz andouille sausage sliced
- 1 white onion diced
- 4 stalks celery diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno minced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans 14-1/2 ounces each white beans, drained
- 1/2 pound small shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Pour olive oil into a large pot over medium high heat. Add in sausage and chicken and cook until browned.
- Add in onion, celery, bell pepper, and jalapeno and saute 5 minutes until soft.
- Stir in garlic, cumin, paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and flour. Cook 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken broth and white beans and bring to a simmer. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp and heavy cream and cook 2-3 minutes, until shrimp turn pink. Serve hot.