This Instant Pot Chili recipe is full of meaty goodness in this easy to make recipe that utilizes the hottest kitchen appliance trend: the electric pressure cooker.
This recipe comes from the fabulous new Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook from my friend Barbara Schieving over at www.PressureCookingToday.com . She sent me over a copy of her cookbook to review and I have to say: I love it! This cookbook is the best guide I’ve seen for using your electric pressure cooker. It comes with detailed instructions and tips for using any brand of electric pressure cooker and teaches you how to maximize this fabulous kitchen appliance. It also contains a full collection of amazing recipes.
My Other Recipes
Chili Con Carne is a classic chili option that can really hit the spot on a cold day. It’s full of meat, beans, and a whole lot of flavor. Tortilla chips are used as a thickening agent in this chili which is pretty genius because tortilla chips also make a great garnish for chili as well.
If you like this recipe, you may also be interested in my recipe for Instant Pot Beef Barbacoa.
Which electric pressure cooker is the best?
Instant Pot is a brand name for an electric pressure cooker and has become a commonly used term much like Crockpot is used in place of Slow Cooker. . There are quite a variety of electric pressure cookers available on the market today, with more slated for release. There is a wide range of prices and features available depending on the brand and model you purchase. Features and models are constantly changing so it is best to read customer reviews before purchasing. You can view Amazon’s complete current listings and reviews HERE.
Can I cook dried beans in the Instant Pot?
Yes! Dried beans can easily be made in the Instant Pot. For this recipe, add 1 cup of dried red kidney beans to your electric pressure cooker along with 1 quart of water. Select high pressure and 1 minute of cook time. When the cook time ends, turn off the pressure cooker and let the beans sit for one hour. Remove them from the pot and proceed with the recipe as directed, re-adding them to the chili with the seared beef.
Watch the video below where I walk you through every step of this recipe and give you a quick look inside the fabulous cookbook this recipe came from.
Instant Pot Chili Recipe
Instant Pot Chili
- 2 pounds beef chuck cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2-4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 14.5 ounce can beef broth
- 2 15 ounce cans red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 4.5 ounce cans green chilies
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2/3 cup finely crushed tortilla chips
- Shredded cheese cilantro, sour cream for serving
- Season the beef with salt and pepper. Select "browning/saute" on your electric pressure cooker and add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and brown the beef in small batches, about 5 minutes. Add more oil as needed until all the meat is browned. Transfer browned meat to a plate and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon more oil into the pressure cooker pot and onion. Saute 3 minutes until tender. Add the garlic and saute 1 minute more.
- Stir in the beef broth, tomatoes, beans, green chilies, chili powder, tomato paste, and cumin. Stir in beef.
- Lock the lid in place. Select high pressure and 25 minutes cook time.
- When the cook time ends, turn off the pressure cooker. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and finish with a quick pressure release.
- When the valve drops, carefully remove the lid. Stir in the tortilla chips and let rest for 10 minutes, uncovered, to thicken.
- Serve topped with cheese, cilantro, sour cream, and more tortilla chips as desired.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox ?
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!