Creamy Tuscan chicken has perfectly browned chicken, leafy greens, and the most amazing, creamy Parmesan sauce. Serve on its own or on top of rice or pasta for a super satisfying meal.
This is the kind of dinner we dream about. Browned and juicy chicken? Check. Fresh mushrooms and leafy greens? Check check. Enough sauce to coat everything thoroughly? Ch— well, you get the idea. Creamy tuscan chicken simply has it all, which explains why it finds its way to our dinner table at least once per week. Really, let’s be honest — it’s all about that sauce. Make sure you take your fair share and don’t leave any sauce behind. You can thank us later.
Tips and Tricks
Use high-quality ingredients: Tuscan chicken is all about the flavors, so it’s important to use high-quality olive oil, sun-dried tomatoes, etc.
Don’t skimp on the sun-dried tomatoes: Sun-dried tomatoes are a key ingredient in Tuscan chicken – adding a rich, intense flavor to the dish.
Use wine to add depth of flavor: Replace half of the chicken broth for white wine to add depth of flavor.
Heavy Cream Substitutes
Greek Yogurt: You will need 1 cup of Greek yogurt to substitute for heavy cream in this recipe. Greek yogurt is not as rich and creamy as heavy cream, so you may need to adjust the amount of liquid in the recipe. You can also thin the Greek yogurt with a little bit of milk or water to make it easier to incorporate into the sauce.
Coconut Milk: You will need 1 cup of coconut milk to substitute for heavy cream in this recipe. Coconut milk is not as thick and rich as heavy cream, so you may need to adjust the amount of liquid in the recipe. You may also want to reduce the heat and cook the sauce for a longer time to allow it to thicken and reduce.
Coconut Milk and Greek Yogurt: Coconut milk has a distinct coconut flavor that may be noticeable. If you don’t want the coconut flavor to be too prominent, you can use a combination of half coconut milk and half Greek yogurt as a substitute. This will add some creaminess and tanginess to the sauce without adding as much coconut flavor.
We absolutely love mushrooms in this recipe. However, over the years we have learned that many of you don’t share that love. WIth that in mind, mushrooms are recommended – but optional in this recipe.
Tuscan chicken is delicious served with a side of pasta, mashed potatoes, or roasted vegetables. Some of our favorite serving pairings are:
Storage and Reheating Instructions
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Stovetop: Place the Tuscan chicken in a saucepan and add a splash of water or chicken broth. Heat the chicken over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it is heated through.
Microwave: Place the Tuscan chicken in a microwave-safe dish and cover it with a damp paper towel. Heat the chicken in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until it is heated through.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious chicken recipes:
Watch the video below where Caytlin will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- 16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts 2 breasts sliced horizontally, 4 pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic (or garlic powder)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese , or grated
- Season chicken on both sides with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Heat olive oil in a large (12-inch) deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add in seasoned chicken.
- Cook chicken until it starts to brown, about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add in butter and mushrooms and sauté them for about 5 minutes until the mushrooms have a touch of browning on them.
- Add in the spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, and garlic, and sauté for about 1 minute until the garlic is more golden and fragrant and the spinach has wilted.
- Stir in the chicken broth, heavy cream, and Italian seasoning, and bring it to a near boil. Reduce the heat to low, stir in the parmesan cheese, and then add in the chicken. Let simmer until sauce thickens, about 3-4 minutes, and spoon the sauce over the chicken.
- Serve over pasta, rice, mashed potatoes, or as is, and enjoy!