Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta is the perfect family meal. Juicy cajun-spiced chicken is served over a bed of creamy linguine that’s packed full of sautéed veggies.
This is a recipe I’ve been making on a regular basis for more than 10 years. I was SHOCKED when I realized I had never shared it here on the blog. I told my husband and he was pretty shocked as well. He said, “are you sure it wasn’t one of the first recipes you ever posted?” Nope. In the 8 years that I have been sharing recipes online not once have I posted this. If you knew how often I made this you’d be pretty shocked too.
I started making this recipe back in college. Every once in a while we’d put together dinner groups where you had 7-10 people and you rotated who cooked dinner for everyone else. It’s actually a genius way to eat in college. Cooking for one always seemed like a bother so I always found myself eating the same meals over and over. Dinner group made it so I only even needed to think about dinner, at most, once a week. Plus, it was also pretty fun.
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta is one of our favorite dinners for good reason. Spicy cajun seasoned chicken, tons of veggies, and a creamy sauce. It’s pretty much a recipe for perfection. And better yet, my cajun pasta only has 8 ingredients! It’s a super easy meal to throw together which makes it perfect for family dinners. And when I was a college student, having a quick meal like this that also impressed everyone and was made without a huge expense….it was an all-around winner for sure.
Check out the recipe notes where I list the ingredients for my own homemade cajun seasoning. I am a huge fan of homemade cajun seasoning simply because it allows me to completely control the flavor. I always have a little bottle or baggie of homemade cajun seasoning in my pantry. It goes great on my Cajun Stuffed Chicken as well. You can always use a store bought mix, but there’s a lot of variation out there so make sure you find one you like.
Watch the video below where I walk you through every step of this recipe in my own cooking show. You can check out my entire collection of cooking videos on YouTube. Spoiler alert: there are almost 300 of them!
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 teaspoons cajun seasoning, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pound linguine
- 3 bell peppers, various colors, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Rub each chicken breast with 1 teaspoon of cajun seasoning. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in 3 tablespoons of butter. Sear the chicken breasts in the butter until browned on each side. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F which will take about 5-7 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Remove the chicken and set aside to rest.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In the same skillet as you cooked the chicken, without cleaning, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Add in bell peppers, onion, and mushroom. Sauté until veggies are tender. Sprinkle remaining 2 teaspoons of cajun seasoning over veggies and cook 1 minute.
- Pour in heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Simmer until sauce thickens.
- Stir in cooked pasta and toss until coated and veggies are evenly distributed. Slice chicken breasts and serve over hot pasta.
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt