Creamy Chicken Tetrazzini starts with sautéed mushrooms, onions, freshly cooked chicken breasts, and al dente linguine; and ends up a delicious baked pasta dish with a crunchy cheesy bread crumb topping. You are going to love it!
There is nothing better on a fall evening than a creamy, delicious baked pasta dish. Why go through the effort to cook on both the stovetop and the oven? It is all about the crispy, crunchy topping. We love pasta, any pasta! But there’s something extra special about a crispy breadcrumb, cheesy topping that only a baked pasta can deliver.
We love how traditional this dish feels, using mostly pantry staple items. The sauce is made from scratch, and the onion and mushrooms really add amazing flavor to this seemingly simple dish. Cheesy Chicken Tetrazzini is a family favorite, and we’re sure your family will love it just as much as ours!
We highly recommend keeping the mushrooms in this dish. The flavor is just divine and we couldn’t imagine chicken tetrazzini without them! However, we know that everyone’s tastes vary and if you are not a mushroom lover, you can leave them out.
Pasta Options for Chicken Tetrazzini:
We love linguine, but feel free to experiment with different types of pasta. Spaghetti is always a great option, but you could also experiment with penne or other tube-shaped pasta. Just remember to cook the pasta for 2 minutes less than the recommended cooking time on the package as it will continue to cook in the oven and you don’t want to end up with mushy pasta.
If you are short on time, you can always cook the chicken ahead of time or even use shredded rotisserie chicken. It doesn’t get any easier than that! Simply substitute with 2 cups of pre-cooked or shredded rotisserie chicken.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious pasta recipes:
- Best Baked Ziti Ever
- Classic Chicken Marsala
- The Most Amazing Lasagna Recipe
- Old Fashioned Beef Stroganoff
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Creamy Chicken Tetrazzini
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound linguine pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white or yellow onion , diced
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms , sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Add 1 TB olive oil to pan and cook chicken, 5 to 7 minutes per side, until cooked through to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove chicken from pan, dice, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease a 9×13 pan.
- Cook linguine for 2 minutes less than the package directions as the pasta will continue to soften in the oven.
- Add 2 TB olive oil to the skillet where the chicken was cooked and return to a medium-high heat. Add in onion and cook until just starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Add in mushroom slices and continue cooking until mushrooms and onions are both soft.
- Add butter in with mushrooms and onions and let melt. Stir in flour until combined. Add in garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Pour in milk and chicken broth and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Just as it reaches a simmer the mixture should thicken. Stir in frozen peas and diced chicken, then immediately reduce the heat to low and stir in cream cheese until melted. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Stir cooked pasta in with the sauce until combined then transfer it all to the prepared 9×13 pan. In a small bowl, use a fork to toss together panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and 3 tsp olive oil until combined. Sprinkle evenly on top of the pasta in the pan.
- Bake in the preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes until the crumbs on top are golden brown. Serve hot.