The perfect, juicy hamburger is only 7 secrets away.
See that picture? The one right above this? That is a real burger. I put it together from raw meat to what you see there in about 15 minutes. I didn’t dress it up or do anything to stage it. That was really my lunch. In fact, I made more than one because my family was hungry too. I spent under 5 minutes taking photos of it (including set up) before I sat and devoured it bite by bite. So what is the point in telling you all this? Well, my friends, the perfect burger is easy to make. And it really can be as good as it looks. Below I’m sharing my 7 secrets to the perfect burger.
Don’t want to read it? Watch it instead! I’ll show you how I make the perfect burger.
7 Secrets to the Perfect Burger
- The most important factor in the perfect burger is the meat. Burgers are all about the meat. Hamburger meat is not the same thing as ground beef. The short explanation is that hamburger can have all sorts of fat added to it, while ground beef is one specific cut of beef ground up.
- The fat content matters! I use 15% fat. When it comes to other uses for ground beef I’m generally a lean sirloin girl, but when it comes to a burger, that fat is key in keeping it together and producing a juicy bite.
- There are three different grades of beef, select, choice, and prime. You should use at least USDA Choice (it is only 50 cents to $1 more per pound). I use 1/2 pound of meat for each burger.
- If you are using a good quality meat, you need to keep your seasonings simple. All that meat needs is salt and pepper.
- Don’t overwork the meat. Form it into a patty with as little “working” as possible.
- Grilled burgers taste better than pan fried. If you can, always grill it. Use high heat to sear in the juices, then reduce heat to cook to desired temp. If you use quality beef it can be pink in the middle (medium-rare).
- Toast your buns. This will prevent a soggy mess. when you add your juicy burger and wet toppings like ketchup. I like to brush mine with a little garlic butter before grilling for extra flair. Top it with whatever toppings you like.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox!
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!