Homemade Hamburger Buns are easy to make and will take your burgers over the top! Feel like you are eating at a gourmet burger bar with homemade buns, and they are freeze-able too!
What if I don’t have a stand mixer?
You can still make these delicious buns without a mixer. In a large mixing bowl, combine the yeast, sugar, salt and about 2 cups of the flour. Stir in the liquid mixture until well combined. Add in the remaining flour 1/2 cup – 1 cup at a time, kneading it into the dough as you go. Once all the flour has been added in, knead for another 5 minutes or so. The dough should be nice and smooth.
What kind of flour should I use? Can I make them gluten free?
Use all-purpose or bread flour in this recipe for best results. Gluten free flours are all different and cannot generally be substituted. Try a blend like Cup-for-Cup that is designed specifically to replace regular flour.
Can I freeze these buns?
Yes, these buns can be frozen for later use. Be sure to completely cool your hamburger buns before freezing them. Freeze in an airtight resealable freezer bag to prevent freezer burn. They will stay good in the freezer for 1 to 3 months. To thaw, simply remove from the freezer and let thaw at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours.
Try your buns out with these delicious recipes:
- 7 Secrets to the Perfect Burger
- Juicy Turkey Burger
- Queso Fundido Chorizo Hamburger
- Best Homemade Sloppy Joes
- Santa Fe Chicken Sandwiches
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Homemade Hamburger Buns
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup salted butter melted
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds optional
- In a large mixing bowl, or in the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the yeast, sugar, salt, milk, and water.
- Add in the melted butter and 3 1/2 cups of the flour. Begin mixing on a low speed until all of the flour is stirred in. Slowly add in the remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough is tacky, but doesn’t stick to your hands. The dough should be nice and smooth.
- Transfer to a lightly greased large mixing bowl and let rise until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and roll into balls. Press each ball between your hands to flatten. The dough will spring back a bit giving you about a 1/2-inch disc. Place the disc onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Whisk together the egg and 1 tablespoon water to form an egg wash. Brush the tops of the discs. This will give them a nice shiny brown finish. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top, if desired, to make sesame seed buns.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 12 minutes, until lightly browned.