The Best Sloppy Joes are homemade and delicious enough for adults and kids alike! The whole family will love this delicious easy dinner.
Sloppy Joes can be amazing, didn’t you know? It doesn’t have to be a quick, thrown together meal from a can that kids can tolerate. It can be flavorful and packed full of delicious vegetables. It can have texture!
What kind of ground beef should I use to make sloppy joes?
A lean ground beef (93/7) mixture is a great option for sloppy joes. There’s hardly any fat which means you probably won’t even need to drain the grease off of your meat. If you like your sloppy joes on the greasy side, feel free to use a higher fat content ground beef.
PRO TIP: Toast your buns before placing your meat on. This will take your sloppy joes to the next level! Simply place open face on a baking sheet and put the under the broiler setting on your oven. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes until lightly browned, but keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
BEST HOMEMADE SLOPPY JOES
Best Homemade Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 hamburger buns
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef and yellow onion together, stirring occasionally, until beef is browned and cooked through.
- Drain any excess fat from the skillet and return skillet to heat.
- Add in bell pepper, celery, tomato sauce, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, brown sugar, salt, ground mustard, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 15 to 30 minutes. Simmering time depends on how crisp you want the vegetables.
- Serve meat hot on toasted buns.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!