Homemade Pretzel Rolls are soft on the inside with a salty, chewy exterior and super easy to make. These rolls will quickly become a family favorite in your house!
These rolls have a crisp, flaky, chewy crust, with a soft interior, which all combines together to create the perfect pretzel roll. It is kind of to die for. If you thought those store bought pretzel rolls were good, you are about to be in heaven. We love biting into them and having the bottom roll crunch and flake like a pastry. And that course salt on top? It might be our very favorite part of pretzels.
Can I double this recipe?
This recipe as written makes one dozen rolls. It’s very easy to double or triple this recipe if you need more. If you are using a stand mixer, just make sure it has enough capacity to handle it. That’s the only thing holding you back with these babies. When doubling or tripling, the rising time will remain the same.
Yeast in Homemade Pretzel Rolls:
I prefer to use instant dry yeast in my baking. It doesn’t require proofing! That’s just genius I tell you. Some brands label theirs “rapid rise yeast” so watch for that too. They are the same thing and they work wonders when it comes to baking.
You can eat these pretzel rolls plain or serve them up sandwich style with something like Luau style pork. They are chewy, but still soft, so they are perfect for either.
These rolls will stay good for about 3 days, though as with most baked goods, they are best eaten within 24 hours. Store them in an airtight container or bag. Just be sure to make sure they are completely cooled off first, otherwise steam will escape and make them soggy. They can also easily be frozen in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious bread and roll recipes:
- The Best Homemade Dinner Rolls Ever
- Homemade Soft Pretzels
- Homemade Breadsticks
- Rapid Rise Skillet Yeast Rolls
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Homemade Pretzel Rolls
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon softened butter
- 1 3/4 cups warm milk
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 egg white lightly beaten
- coarse salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine brown sugar, yeast, salt and butter. Pour in warm milk and 4 cups of flour. Knead on a low speed until combined, increase speed to medium and then add more flour as necessary until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. The dough should still be tacky, but should be able to form its own dough ball. Cover and let rise 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 12 balls and shape into rolls. Let rest 15 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add in 1/2 cup baking soda. Working in batches of 2-3, use a slotted spoon to transfer the rolls into the boiling water. Boil 1 minute, flip, and boil 30 to 60 seconds more. Use the slotted spoon to remove the rolls from the water and transfer to prepared baking sheet. Allow at least 1 inch of space between each roll.
- Use a sharp knife to slice two parallel lines in the top of each roll. Brush with egg white. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, until a deep golden brown.