Just a few simple ingredients is all you need to make Homemade Soft Pretzels. This recipe has a warm, buttery, salty exterior and is delicious by itself, or dunked in your favorite cheese dip!
While the thought of soft pretzels might leave you reminiscing over your teen years at the mall or amusement parks, once you make them at home you will never go back to the food court again! These pretzels have a soft interior, and chewy, salty exterior. You will find yourself coming back for seconds and thirds every time you make them!
This recipe is so easy, even the kids can get involved. Between making the dough ropes, dunking in the baking soda mixture, and brushing with melted butter, there is a job for everyone in the family to help out with! These are truly the best soft pretzels. Get ready for it to become your family favorite!
How do I make sure I make 12 even sized pretzels?
Weigh the dough in ounces before dividing the dough. Divide the weight by 12. This will tell you how much each dough ball should weigh. As you are pinching dough off, weigh each one and add or remove dough as needed to keep them a similar size. You can also eyeball it, and keep them about the size of golf balls.
How hot of water do I need? What’s the best method for this?
The easiest option is to simply use the hottest water possible from the tap. It does not have to be boiling, but you do want it very hot. Other options are to microwave, boil on stove, or use an electric hot water kettle.
Are there any flavor variations I can make?
Yes, there are so many flavors that work well with pretzels! Cinnamon and sugar is a popular flavor. To make these, simply sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top after brushing the pretzels with melted butter. Another favorite is cheese pretzels. After dunking in the baking soda mixture, sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top right before baking. You will not want to brush melted butter on top of any cheese pretzels, as you do not want the added grease.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious pretzel recipes:
- French Toast and Bacon Soft Pretzels
- Cheddar Stuffed Sriracha Pretzel Bites
- How to Make a Stuffed Pretzel
- Homemade Pretzel Rolls
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes onYouTube, Facebook Watch, or ourFacebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
- 1 1/4 cups water lukewarm
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- melted butter and coarse salt
- Cinnamon and sugar
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar into the warm water.
- Add in the flour and mix until combined. No need to knead. Let the dough rise in a warm place until almost doubled which should only take about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Divide the dough into golf ball sized lumps. Roll each ball into a snake or rope. Twist them into pretzel shapes (or whatever shape you'd like!).
- In a small bowl or a liquid measuring cup, dissolve the baking soda in the hot water. Dip the pretzels into the solution and place on a well-greased cookie sheet or baking pan.
- Bake for about 6 minutes at 500 degrees until they are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and dip the face of the pretzel in melted butter. Add your chosen toppings.