Kalua Pork is salty and smoky and so incredibly tender. Choose your preferred cooking method from our oven, pressure cooker, and slow cooker instructions. You’re going to love this minimal prep and maximum flavor recipe!
Is food allowed to taste this good when there is zero effort required? Perhaps we should all just go with it. It takes only 10 minutes or less to prepare the pork, and then your slow cooker/oven/pressure cooker takes care of the rest! This is why we love these kinds of meals. We are a busy family, and some days just need the convenience of not worrying about dinner. And this dinner will certainly not disappoint. The pork is salty and smoky and so incredibly tender. We like to serve it up with pineapple and coconut rice. You’ll love it!
Liquid Smoke in Kalua Pork:
Liquid smoke is completely optional, but we highly recommend it for the flavor. You can also use smoked salt if you prefer.
We can’t fathom eating Kalua pork without coconut rice and a large side of fresh pineapple. Trust us. It’s THAT good.
If using a smoker to make this, follow all directions and omit the liquid smoke. Put the meat directly on the rack and let the pork smoke at 225 degrees for 3-4 hours. Tightly wrap the pork at that point in foil and let it continue to cook at 250 degrees until the internal temperature hits 203 degrees. Let rest for 20-30 minutes, unwrap, shred, and enjoy.
Storage and Reheating Instructions:
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in a skillet over medium heat on the stove until warmed through, or in the microwave in 30 second increments.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious shredded meat recipes:
Kalua Pork (Slow-Cooker, Instant Pot or Oven)
- 3 to 5 pound bonless pork butt roast
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic (about 12 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons Sea Salt (Hawaiian Pink Salt is preferred)
- 2 tablespoons hickory liquid smoke
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Place the pork butt into the base of a 6 quart slow cooker. Rub the garlic, ginger and salt all over the roast. Drizzle the liquid smoke over pork.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours until roast is easily shredded with a fork.
- Shred pork directly in slow cooker and stir meat in with juices. Serve plain, over rice, or on a bun!
Instant Pot Instructions
- Rub the garlic, ginger and salt all over the roast. Place into an electric pressure cooker or instant pot. Drizzle the liquid smoke over pork.
- Cook on high pressure for 60 minutes, followed by a 15-minute natural release. Then, switch the release valve to the venting position. Remove lid once steam has stopped coming out. If the roast is larger than 5 pounds, add on extra time.
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit. Place roast into a 5 to 7 quart oven-safe pot with lid or use a roasting pan and cover with aluminum foil later. Place the pork roast into the pot and rub the garlic, ginger and salt all over to coat Drizzle the liquid smoke over pork.
- Cover with lid or aluminum foil tightly cover the roast with foil. Roast at 225 degrees for 8-9 hours, until pork shreds easily with a fork. Shred in the man and mix with juices.