Slow Cooker Sweet Pork cooks low and slow to create the most moist and flavorful pork. We’ve included slow cooker, instant pot, and oven instructions so you can choose your preferred cooking method.
If you have not discovered the amazingness which is shredded pork, we are here to set you on the right path. Not only does this recipe create super moist and flavorful pork, but it does so without requiring hardly any effort on your part. We prefer to make this for dinner on the weekend, and then continue to eat the leftovers all week long for lunch. With so many ways to make this into a meal, you will never get bored of this sweet pork!
Pork Butt Roast:
Did you know that a pork butt roast isn’t actually from the rear of a pig? Pork butt comes from the shoulder. The more you know!
Salsa Options in Slow Cooker Sweet Pork:
We recommend using a jarred, stewed salsa, paying careful attention to the spice level, so you do not get a level of spice higher than you can handle and enjoy.
Feel free to substitute 1 teaspoon of powdered or granulated garlic for the freshly minced garlic, if desired.
You have so many serving options for sweet pork. Our favorite ways to use it are in a salad, and of course, tacos! You can never go wrong with tacos. However, you should feel free to experiment with adding it to burritos, nachos, and any of your other favorite Mexican food.
Storage and Reheating Instructions:
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in a skillet on the stovetop over medium-low heat, or in the microwave in 30-second increments, until warmed through
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious slow cooker recipes:
Slow Cooker Sweet Pork
- 3-5 pound boneless pork butt roast
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 16 ounces salsa
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cumin optional
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Place the pork butt into the base of a 6 quart slow cooker. Rub the garlic, salt, and pepper all over the pork.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours. Drain off at least half of the grease and juices.
- Pour sweet salsa mixture onto the pork and let cook for another 1-2 hours until pork shreds easily.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Rub the garlic, salt and pepper all over the roast. Pour the sweet salsa mixture onto the seasoned pork. Place into an electric pressure cooker or instant pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 60 minutes, followed by a 15-minute natural release. Then, switch the release valve to the venting position. Remove lid once steam has stopped coming out. If the roast is larger than 5 pounds, add on extra time. Ladle out any excess grease.
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit. Place roast into a 5-7 quart oven-safe pot with lid, or use a roasting pan and cover with aluminum foil later. Place the pork roast into the pot and rub the garlic, salt, and pepper all over to coat. Pour the sweet salsa mixture onto the seasoned pork.
- Cover with lid or tightly cover with aluminum foil. Roast at 225 degrees for 6 hours. Pour the sweet salsa mixture onto the pork, cover, and let cook for another 1-2 hours, until pork shreds easily with a fork. Ladle out about half of the drippings. Shred in the pan and mix with juices.
- Add salsa, brown sugar, and cumin into a bowl. Stir together until combined.
Topping Ideas to Make Sweet Pork Into A Salad:
- Shredded Pork
- Cilantro Ranch Dressing (or other favorite dressing)
- Shredded Cheese
- Fresh Pico
- Tortilla Strips