Cream Cheese Chicken Sliders are made with a quick homemade BBQ sauce and cooked low and slow in the crockpot for a minimal effort and maximum flavor dinner! The secret is the pineapple.
Have we gushed over how much we love our crockpot lately? Temperatures are blazing hot in the midwest, and we are looking for ways to keep our house as cool as possible, which means keeping the stove and oven off at all costs! Enter: the crockpot. Our house stays cool, prep time is super fast, and then the crockpot takes over to do the real work. At the end of the day, you are well rested from not over-working in the kitchen, and you have the most tender, flavorful chicken. What’s not to love? Trust us and add this to your meal plan ASAP!
Pineapple in Cream Cheese Chicken Sliders:
You won’t want to skip on the pineapple, because it really helps to tenderize the chicken.
Butter is optional, but highly recommended. Chicken breasts are so lean, and adding in the butter helps maintain moisture and gives it a smoother texture.
We always prefer the taste of homemade, but if you have a favorite barbecue sauce, you can simply use that!
We served our sliders in traditional dinner rolls, but you could also use hamburger buns or your other favorite roll or bread. You can also swap the bread out to fit your particular diet and use gluten free or keto bread as well! For a lighter option, serve in a lettuce wrap!
Storage and Reheating Instructions:
Store any leftover chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave in 30 second increments until warmed through.
Cream Cheese Chicken Sliders
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup pineapple rings
- 4 tablespoons salted butter , sliced
- 8 ounces cream cheese cubed
- 1 dozen dinner rolls
- 12 slices cheddar cheese
Homemade BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Place chicken breasts into a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker. Top with pineapple rings and butter slices.
- In a small bowl, combine ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, salt, pepper, garlic, red pepper flakes, and mustard. Pour half of the sauce over chicken.
- Cover and cook 4 to 5 hours on high, or 6 to 8 hours on low.
- After the chicken has cooked, pull out the pineapple rings and set aside. add in the remaining barbecue sauce then add in the small cubes of cream cheese.
- Shred the chicken and stir into the sauce the cream cheese.
- Serve up on a toasted bun with a slice of cheddar and pineapple ring on top of the pile of chicken.