Start your day off right with tasty breakfast burritos. Filled with savory cooked meat, crispy hash browns, fluffy eggs, and topped with our magical homemade sauce, you’ll want to eat one every single morning!
Breakfast is one of the best meals of the day! Seriously, when we start our morning with a breakfast like this, we feel like we could take on the world. We realize that not everyone has the time to prepare breakfast every morning, especially on those days when you can’t seem to get out of bed. But when you know a tasty meal awaits you, it’ll get a whole lot easier. This breakfast burritos recipe is made with simple ingredients, and you can definitely make them ahead of time and pop them in the freezer for later. Frozen breakfast burritos are a lifesaver on those hectic mornings! You’re going to love them!
We love using ground sausage and chopped ham (or this shredded ham) as the meat in our breakfast burritos recipe. You can also replace them with:
- Ground beef
- Ground turkey
- Ground chicken
- Plant-based meat substitute
You can opt to keep things simple like we do and use a bit of onion and red bell pepper. If you want to add in some more veggies to get in your five-a-day, here are some suggestions:
- More bell peppers (green, yellow, or orange)
We use mayonnaise for our special sauce but you could also use:
- Sour cream
- Greek yogurt
No matter what you decide to use as a base, it’s important to make the sauce first so that the flavors have a chance to develop. You can also stick it in the fridge to chill as you prepare your other ingredients!
Spice Level Options:
This breakfast burritos recipe is Mexican-inspired, so it features quite a bit of heat. Between the special sauce, green chiles, and other seasonings, they are a spicy lover’s dream. If you don’t like spicy foods, you can feel free to omit the ingredients above, or simply use less of them!
Troubleshooting: Soggy Burrito
One thing that some chefs complain about when it comes to making this convenient breakfast is that they end up going soggy. We find that when you follow the recipe instruction card below you shouldn’t have that problem! That said, if you do find that yours start to get a bit mushy, you can try this trick: let the filling cool to room temperature before you roll them up. It helps to prevent extra moisture due to steam from forming.
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions
This breakfast burritos recipe is the ultimate dish to make ahead of time. We recommend setting aside a few hours over the weekend to make them so that you have some yummy breakfast on hand for the week ahead. Simply follow the recipe instructions below, and then allow your burritos to cool completely. Wrap them tightly in aluminum foil individually, add them to a freezer-safe bag, and then pop them in the freezer where they will keep for up to 3 months.
Storage and Reheating Instructions:
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, remove the aluminum foil and wrap the burrito in a damp paper towel. Microwave in 30-second increments or in a skillet with a scant amount of oil over medium-low heat until warmed through. Alternatively, you can reheat in an air fryer at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 4 minutes, flipping half way through. If you’re working from frozen burritos, just keep in mind that they will take longer to heat up.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious breakfast recipes:
- One Pan Breakfast Bake With Bacon, Hashbrowns, and Eggs
- Sausage and Apple Breakfast Strata
- Sheepherder’s Breakfast
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch Breakfast Casserole
Watch the video below where Caytlin will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Tasty Breakfast Burrito
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 20 ounces frozen diced or shredded hash browns thawed
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 8 ounces ham diced
- 1 white or yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 4 ounces diced green chiles drained (optional)
- 10 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 tortillas
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise , or sour cream
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium high heat. Cook thawed hash browns in the hot butter seasoned with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Flip minimally to ensure browning. Once cooked set aside and wipe out pan.
- In the skillet, add in ground sausage and brown for about 5 minutes. Then add in ham, onion, and bell peppers. Let brown for an additional 6-8 minutes.
- Add in green chiles and eggs. Stir and cook for about 5 more minutes until eggs are thoroughly cooked and fluffy. Add in cooked hashbrowns and season with salt and pepper.
- Smear about 1 teaspoon of burrito sauce on the tortilla, Add about 1/2- 3/4 cup of the filling, then sprinkle with cheese and wrap up tightly.
- Serve hot with salsa or favorite hot sauce!
- Add all ingredients into a bowl and stir until well combined.