Coconut Rice is easy to make and the perfect side dish for so many different styles of meals. It has a mild coconut flavor, but it’s still delicious!
What does coconut milk rice taste like?
Rice cooked in coconut milk has a mild coconut flavor. It is slightly sweet, but only has a mild coconut flavor.
MY OTHER RECIPES
What kind of coconut milk should I use?
You can use either canned coconut milk or the kind of coconut milk that comes from a carton in the refrigerated section. Either will work. When using canned coconut milk, be sure to shake the can well before opening or stir the contents together after opening. There may be chunks, but don’t worry, that is normal. Simply pour everything from the can in with the rice, chunks and all.
Can coconut rice be made with brown rice?
Yes it can, but the steaming time on the rice will need to be increased significantly. Instead of 15 minutes, steam the rice with the lid on for 50 to 60 minutes.
What kind of rice should I use?
Use any long grain white rice in this recipe. Avoid using specialty rices like arborrio or quick rices like instant rice. These kinds of rices require a different ratio of liquid to rice as well as different cooking times.
If you like this recipe, check out these fantastic main dishes that go perfect with this coconut rice:
- Slow Cooker Kalua Pork
- Easy Baked Pork Chops
- Easy Garlic Lime Skillet Chicken
- Lemon Garlic Chicken Broccoli Bake
- Thai Grilled Fish
- Easy Lemon Garlic Baked Tilapia
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ cups white rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium high heat. Add in rice and toast, 2 to 3 minutes, stirring until rice begins to turn a light golden brown.
- Pour in coconut milk, water, and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Place a lid onto the saucepan and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer on low 15 minutes, until all liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender. Use a fork to fluff rice and serve hot.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!