Country Style Baked Beans are sweet, saucy, and oh so delicious with both ground beef and bacon. We’ve got you covered with instructions for both the oven and slow cooker!
Baked beans have always been a favorite. Even before we really liked beans, we would still always go for a hefty helping of baked beans at family BBQs. Really, who can resist? They’re savory and sweet and always have bite-sized pieces of crunchy bacon. What’s not to love?! We’ve perfected this recipe by adding in ground beef, making it even more amazing. Even bean haters will love our country-style baked beans!
Can I use dry beans?
You sure can! They simply take the extra step of soaking and cooking before you can add them in. That can be a full-day project, so if you intend to use dry beans, make sure you prep them the day before.
If you like your baked beans extra saucy, you can either add extra ketchup or simply double the sauce entirely.
Worcestershire Sauce in Country Style Baked Beans:
If you don’t have Worcestershire sauce or need to omit it for any reason, you can simply leave it out, no substitute needed.
You can substitute the brown sugar with either a Stevia brown sugar replacement or maple syrup. You will only want to add 1/8 cup of either replacement. Alternatively, you can simply omit it altogether! We prefer the added sweetness, but it is still absolutely delicious without any sugar!
Baked beans freeze so well! Simply portion any leftovers into freezer-safe resealable plastic bags and freeze flat for up to 3 months.
Storage and Reheating Instructions:
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in a saucepan on the stove over medium-low heat until warmed through.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious side dish recipes:
Watch the video below where Caytlin will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Country Style Baked Beans
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound diced bacon (about 8 slices)
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 2 bell peppers , diced (red and green)
- 16 ounces canned black beans , drained
- 16 ounces canned navy beans , drained
- 16 ounces canned butter beans , drained
- 16 ounces canned pinto beans , drained
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a 9×13 pan.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in ground beef and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder until browned, about 6-8 minutes. Once browned, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add bacon to the skillet. Cook over medium high heat until crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove pan from heat and spoon the bacon out of the skillet, leaving the grease. Set bacon to the side.
- In the pan with the bacon drippings, sauté the onions and bell peppers over medium heat until the vegetables start to soften and get a little bit of browning on them, about 5 minutes
- Reduce the heat to low and add in the cans of beans and return the ground beef and half of the bacon to the skillet.
- Add in ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire, ground mustard, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining bacon. Bake, covered, in the 300 degree oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Follow all instructions for stovetop to cook the ground beef, bacon, and vegetables. Once each is cooked, transfer them to a 5 to 8 quart slow cooker instead of baking them. Add in the drained canned beans, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire, ground mustard, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.