The Best Deviled Eggs use all of the classic ingredients with one secret weapon to take them over the top!
Deviled eggs are a classic appetizer to serve at potlucks and parties. The classic preparation is to mix the egg yolks from boiled eggs with mustard and mayonnaise and dust with paprika for color. This recipe adds in a bit more flavor with the use of dijon mustard, sweet pickle relish, and the bold flavor of horseradish. They are easy to make, and can also be easily made ahead for serving. We recommend making the filling and squeezing it into the shells just before serving, however, you can always fill them up to 12 hours beforehand. Be sure to store in an airtight container in the refrigerator to prevent a crust from forming on the top.
Why add horseradish to deviled eggs? Will it make it spicy?
Horseradish is our secret weapon when making deviled eggs. It adds a lot of flavor, without adding heat. You want to use a prepared horseradish cream sauce rather than raw horseradish. Prepared horseradish is processed with vinegar and salt. Creamy horseradish sauce is sold in the condiment section of your supermarket.
What is the best way to boil eggs to make deviled eggs?
Boiled eggs for deviled eggs need to be hard boiled. We have made a complete guide for boiling eggs that can be found here on our website. Pre-peeled and boiled eggs are commonly sold in grocery stores and can be used in this recipe. They tend to be smaller and kind of expensive.
PRO TIP: Boiled eggs that are steamed tend to be much easier to peel. You can steam them in a steam basket rather than boil them in water for the same lengths of time for easier peeling.
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
The Best Deviled Eggs
- 12 hard boiled eggs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon creamy horseradish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt* optional
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika for dusting
- Slice hard boiled eggs in half lengthwise. Gently remove the yolk and place yolks into a mixing bowl. Set whites aside on a serving platter.
- Use a fork to mash egg yolks. Stir in mayonnaise, dijon mustard, sweet pickle relish, horseradish, and pepper until well combined. Taste and add salt if necessary.
- Spoon filling into the centers of the whites. Dust with paprika and serve cold.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!