Our Chicken Lettuce Wraps are even better than P.F. Chang’s! Chicken and veggies are cooked in the most delicious, savory sauce and served in lettuce cups for an all-around crowd-pleasing appetizer!
Oh, appetizers. Aren’t they the best? If you’re like us, you easily get in ruts of bringing the same handful of appetizers to parties, until suddenly none of them sound good anymore. We love nothing more than jalapeño popper dip and spinach artichoke dip. They are seriously delicious! But how many times can we possibly show up with them over and over again? Chicken lettuce wraps were mostly forgotten in our social circle, and we brought them back to life with this amazing recipe, even better than the original we all remember from P.F. Chang’s. Liven up your appetizer game with this crowd pleaser!
You have so many options when it comes to what chicken to use in these chicken lettuce wraps. You can use chicken breasts or thighs as you prefer, but even better, you can simply use ground chicken and save time on cutting!
The Asian chili garlic sauce in this recipe gives it a nice warmth. If you are particularly spice sensitive you can always omit this ingredient. Alternatively, you can increase the heat by adding red pepper flakes.
Is Better Than P.F. Chang’s Chicken Lettuce Wraps gluten free?
As written, this recipe is not entirely gluten free. However, it can easily be made gluten free by making a couple of simple substitutions. Hoisin sauce and soy sauce naturally contain gluten, so you will want to substitute for a specialty gluten-free hoisin sauce and use liquid aminos in place of the soy sauce.
Additionally, rice vinegar is a bit of a controversial ingredient in the gluten-free community. In tests, vinegar proves to remain under the threshold to be considered gluten-free, but some people do still react to the gluten in vinegars. Use this ingredient with caution if you are unsure how your body reacts to vinegars.
Can I make this vegetarian?
You absolutely can! Simply substitute the chicken with your favorite plant-based chicken alternative to make this recipe vegetarian.
You can serve these as-is for an appetizer, or with a side of rice or noodles for a full meal!
Storage and Reheating Instructions:
We recommend you only dish out as much of the filling as needed at a time, so that you can store your lettuce separately from the filling to make it last longer. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat the filling in a skillet on the stovetop over medium-low heat until warmed through.
Better Than P.F. Chang’s Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 pound chicken small cubes, or use ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion yellow, diced
- 1 8 ounce water chestnuts whole, finely chopped
- 1 cup cabbage shredded
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1/2 cup green onions sliced
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon Asian chili garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the sesame oil and add in the finely cubed chicken.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook the chicken thoroughly until it is browned. About 6-8 minutes
- Add in the diced onion and let it sauté alongside the chicken for about 3-4 minutes.
- Next, add in the water chestnuts, cabbage, garlic and ginger. Stir and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add into the cooked chicken and vegetables the sauce mixture and let cook all together for another 5 minutes.
- Serve in lettuce cup and garnish with green onions.