Parmesan Fried Zucchini is an easy to make, crisp, yummy appetizer with a nice mild, garden vegetable flavor. These are delicious dipped in marinara sauce!
This recipe for Parmesan fried zucchini is a delicious way to prepare this incredible variety of squash. Working vegetables into your diet was never so tasty! These are crunchy and cheesy on the outside with a soft, tasty inside and are fantastic dipped in ranch or marinara sauce. Teeming with flavor and all the healthy nutrients of zucchini, these tender morsels can be served as a side dish, an appetizer or a delicious snack. Grab some zucchini at the next farmers market and get ready to impress!
How to reheat fried zucchini:
Fried zucchini is best when it is freshly fried, but can be reheated if you made too much. I recommend reheating in an oven for 5-7 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. You can also broil them on low for about 3 minutes.
Can I use yellow squash instead of zucchini?
Yes, the only real difference between summer squash and zucchini is the color and yellow squash is just a little sweeter than zucchini.
Can I make fried zucchini in an air fryer?
These can be air-fried if you want to avoid the oil. Prepare as usual and place in a single layer in air fryer. Coat with cooking spray and cook at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
Can I make fried zucchini in the oven?
Instead of frying, you can also make this fried zucchini in the oven, though it technically won’t be fried. Spritz the breaded zucchini with cooking spray and spread out in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, turning half-way through.
PRO TIP: Don’t have buttermilk? It’s easy to make your own buttermilk substitute! You’ll just need regular milk and a little bit of vinegar or lemon juice. Or try one of our other buttermilk substitute options.
If you want to see more delicious ways to prepare zucchini and squash, you may also like these recipes:
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Parmesan Fried Zucchini
- 2-3 large zucchini
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plain dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder optional
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- Pour enough vegetable oil into a large, heavy skillet to cover with 3/4 inch of oil. Heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse zucchini and pat dry. Slice zucchini into 1/4 inch thick slices, discarding ends.
- Place flour into a shallow dish for dredging. Pour buttermilk into another shallow dish and whisk with eggs until well combined. In a third shallow dish, stir together bread crumbs, Parmesan, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder (if using).
- Coat zucchini slices in flour, then dip into buttermilk mixture, and then roll in bread crumb mixture.
- Working in small batches, fry zucchini in oil for 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Use a slotted metal spoon to remove zucchini from oil and transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Serve hot.