The Best Creamy Potato Salad has to have the perfect balance of flavor. Not too much mayo, and a whole lot of other delicious flavors are necessary to create the ultimate potato salad recipe everyone will love.
We are pretty picky around here when it comes to potato salad. This may very well be the best potato salad recipe you’ll ever find. It has the perfect blend of flavors without too much mayo for the ultimate potato salad recipe that can please everyone in a crowd.
Do you cut the potatoes before boiling them for potato salad?
You can actually cut the potatoes before or after boiling to make the potato salad, depending on personal preference. Cutting your potatoes before hand will require far less boiling time to make the potatoes tender so it is the preferred method for most.
What potatoes are best for potato salad?
Yukon gold and red potatoes are the best kind of potatoes to use to make potato salad. There are other similar varieties that will work as well. You want a potato with a thin skin and waxy flesh. Russet potatoes are not a good option for potato salad as they tend to fall apart.
How long do you boil eggs for potato salad?
Hard boiled eggs work best for potato salad. Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil, cover the pan, and remove it from the heat. Let sit for 10 minutes for the perfect hard boiled egg. Cool immediately. For more information on how to boil eggs, please see this article.
How do you cool potatoes?
Cool potatoes by running them under cold water. Be sure to use a gentle flow of water, and not a hard spray that could rip the potatoes apart.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious side dishes:
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
- 2 pounds red potatoes, diced
- 1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- ½ red onion, diced
- 4 ribs celery, diced
- 4 hard boiled eggs, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup minced fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add in diced potatoes and cook until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well and rinse with cold water to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in cooled potatoes with bacon (optional), onion, celery, and eggs.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, cider vinegar, dill, sugar, mustard, relish, salt, and pepper.
- Pour dressing over potatoes and toss until combined and everything is well coated. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.