Let me introduce you to the fruit salad that everyone will rave about. I call it my triple fruit salad with lemon poppy seed dressing, but everyone else just calls it “The Best Summer Fruit Salad” because, well, it really is. Whenever I bring this to a party or a potluck, it’s always the first thing gone. People can’t resist the winning combination of pineapple, kiwi, and strawberry.
Do I have to add sugar to my fruit salad? Why is there sugar at all?
Depending on their ripeness, fruits have various levels of natural sugars. When working with acidic fruits like pineapple and strawberries, it’s a common practice to add a sweetener to provide a more balanced flavor. It’s a good idea to taste your fruit before preparing the salad to see if it may be on the sweeter side, or if it is on the more acidic side. Adding sugar or honey to a more acidic pineapple and batch of strawberries will help balance the flavor.
My Other Recipes
How do I cut a pineapple?
Aren’t sure how to cut a pineapple? I don’t blame you. Those pokey fruits can be a beast. Pineapple cutters seem like a great idea, but pineapples come in all sorts of sizes and their cores are of varying thickness so it doesn’t always work in practice.
- Lay the pineapple on its side on a large cutting board. Cut about 1/2 inch off the top and bottom (removing the large green stalk on top).
- Stand the pineapple upright. Use a sharp knife to slice that unruly, pokey skin off the sides in slices. Try to leave as much of the flesh intact as possible, but remove all that nasty skin.
- The core of the pineapple is usually hard and inedible. Feel around one end of the pineapple to see where that hardness begins. I usually use a dull butter knife to make a little indentation to outline the core. If you are cubing your pineapple simply cut large chunks off, leaving the hard core behind, then slice and dice into cubes. If you are creating rings, you’ll cut slices and remove the core out of each individually.
Looking for other fantastic summer side dishes? You may enjoy these delicious recipes:
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Summer Fruit Salad
- 1 large pineapple
- 2 pounds strawberries
- 4 large kiwis
- 1 large lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoons sugar or honey
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Prepare the fruits. Pineapple: Cut the pineapple into bite-sized cubes . Strawberries: Rinse them thoroughly, hull them, and cut the big strawberries into quarters, and the smaller ones in half for bite sized pieces. Kiwis: slice the kiwi in half, and use a spoon to remove the fruit from the peel. Cut into bite-sized cubes.
- Combine all the prepared fruit in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle lemon juice over fruit. Sprinkle the sugar and poppy seeds over and then stir gently to combine.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!