Sour Cream Coffee Cake Muffins are super moist and topped with the most delicious streusel topping. You’ll love these classic muffins!
My Other Recipes
Coffee cake muffins are a classic for a reason. They are super delicious and easy to love. In this recipe, I’ve incorporated sour cream in order to add additional moisture to the muffin. The result is a fantastically moist muffin base that is absolutely delicious. And it’s all topped off with a tasty streusel crumble!
Now, before anyone gets mad, there is no coffee in coffee cake so I didn’t miss an ingredient or do anything weird or non traditional. Without fail, someone always leaves a nasty comment about that. The reason why it’s called coffee cake is because it is traditionally served up with coffee, not because coffee is an ingredient.
I’ve kept this recipe super simple. If you want to do something a little more complicated, you can always layer the streusel topping into the muffin. Simply fill the bottom of the muffin tin with enough batter to cover the bottom and then add in a spoonful of the streusel. Cover with more batter to fill the muffin about 3/4 full and then top with another spoonful of streusel topping.
Layering the streusel gives you more of that delicious streusel flavor, but it can cause the muffin to break apart a little bit. Just be sure to give a solid base layer of the batter before putting streusel in the middle.
These muffins will stay good for 3-5 days. Be sure to place them into an airtight container or plastic bag to store. Always cool off baked goods completely before storing, otherwise the heat from the bread will release steam and you’ll end up with soggy bread.
Watch the video below where I walk you through every step of this recipe in my very own cooking show. You can find my entire collection of episodes on YouTube so be sure to check it out and subscribe to my channel there.
Sour Cream Coffee Cake Muffins
- 1/2 cup salted butter room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cold salted butter cut into small pieces
- In a medium bowl, prepare the streusel topping by stirring together brown sugar, flour, and salt. Use a pastry blender (or two knives) to cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles small pebbles or sand. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a muffin tin, or line with paper cups.
- Make your muffin batter in a mixing bowl by beating together butter, sour cream, granulated sugar, vanilla, and eggs using an electric hand mixer until light and creamy. Stir in flour, baking powder, and baking soda until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin (makes 24 muffins). Sprinkle a heaping spoonful of streusel on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove muffins from tin and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!