What is a Baja-style fish taco?
Baja style fish tacos are a regional style of taco found in San Diego and the Baja region of Mexico, just south of San Diego. This kind of fish taco is either grilled or fried and topped with either a creamy or vinegar based slaw.
What is the best fish for fish tacos?
Any white ocean fish will work great for fish tacos. Some common options are mahi mahi, flounder, snapper, grouper, halibut, and cod.
What is a good side dish for fish tacos?
My Other Recipes
What kind of sauce do you put on fish tacos?
Looking for a great sauce for fish tacos? Try this one! You’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- ½ white onion
- 2 jalapenos, stems removed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
Place all ingredients into a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
If you like this recipe you may be interested in these other taco recipes:
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Grilled Fish Tacos
- 1 pound white fish mahi mahi, flounder, tilapia, grouper, etc
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup guacamole optional
- 2 limes quartered
- 8 corn or flour tortillas warmed
- Combine the olive oil, lime juice, and chili powder in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Place the fish in a shallow dish (like a glass cake pan). Pour the marinade over the fish. Sprinkle the jalapeno and cilantro over it and let it marinate for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the slaw and toppings. To make slaw, toss shredded cabbage with red wine vinegar in a small mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add in fish and cook for about 5 minutes per side. Actual cooking time will depend on the thickness of your fillet. The fish is done when it can easily be flaked with a fork.
- Compile your tacos with fish, cabbage slaw, a little onion, tomato, cilantro and guacamole and a squirt of lime juice.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox ?
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!