Flaky cod fish is battered and fried for the most delicious Battered Cod Fish Tacos. Top it off with a simple slaw and avocado salsa and you have an easy, and tasty dinner.
Fish tacos are one of our family’s favorite dinners. Don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients, because this recipe is super simple and comes together in just 20 minutes. When purchasing your fish, ask to smell the piece you want to buy. If it smells like the ocean, or fishy, ask for another piece. I prefer to purchase and use my fish within 24 hours. This way you can ensure the most fresh and flavorful meal. It’s fine to buy it previously frozen as well. Just use your nose to pick out the best piece.
Beer battered tacos are always popular, but what about people who don’t use alcohol in their cooking (or hate beer)? I have the perfect solution for you. Use soda as a direct substitute. In this recipe I used root beer, but I’ve also used Dr. Pepper, Coke, and Sprite, all with excellent results. In fact, I prefer the flavor of soda battered fish!
Worried about frying fish? It’s easy! Watch the video and I’ll show you every step to make this delicious recipe.
Battered Cod Fish Tacos
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 pound fresh cod
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup root beer
- 1 recipe jalapeno crema below
- 4 roma tomatoes diced
- 1/2 white onion minced
- 1/4 fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- 2 avocados diced
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 16 corn tortillas
- Pour vegetable oil into a large heavy skillet, using enough to cover the bottom with 1/2-1 inch of oil. Heat to 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, slice your fish into 1/2 inch wide strips, 5 inches long. In a medium-size mixing bowl, make your batter by whisking together flour, baking powder, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and root beer. Set aside.
- Make your avocado salsa by combining diced tomatoes, onion, cilantro, avocados, lime juice, and salt in a bowl. Toss together to combine.
- Make your simple slaw by tossing together shredded cabbage with red wine vinegar. Season generously with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Working in batches, dip fish into the prepared batter to coat. Place directly into the 350 degree oil. Fry until deep, golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Let drain on a paper-towel lined plate.
- Serve fried fish hot on a corn tortilla. Top with slaw, avocado salsa, and jalapeno crema.