This Authentic Mexican Rice is super easy to make and goes perfectly with any Mexican themed meal!
Lauren here from Wicked Spatula! I’m so excited to be sharing this recipe for Authentic Mexican Rice with you guys today!
When I was little this was one of my favorite foods. I remember going to eat at our local Mexican restaurant after church on Sundays and just ordering two orders of rice. That lasted for years before I realized I loved everything Mexican and needed to switch up my order with nachos, enchiladas, TACOSSS!
This recipe couldn’t be simpler. You’ll start by pureeing some tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapenos, and tomato sauce in a blender. This gives you a super flavorful sauce that will cook right into the rice giving it that lovely yellow/orange color.
After that you’ll saute the rice in a little oil in a heavy bottomed pot until golden, pour in the tomato sauce and broth and cook just like normal rice.
I like to add a fresh squeeze of lime juice at the end along with some cilantro. Typically I serve this rice with enchiladas, or as a base for burrito bowls!
Authentic Mexican Rice
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes
- 1 white onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeño
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Lime for serving
- Cilantro for garnish
- Place the tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapeño, and tomato sauce in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Set a heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat, add in the oil and rice. Continue to cook, stirring frequently until the rice is golden and toasted.
- Add in the tomato puree, broth, and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling reduce the heat to low to maintain a simmer and cover. Cook 20 minutes then turn off the heat, let it sit for 10 minutes before uncovering. Garnish with cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!