All the flavors you love from chicken fajitas in a fun and easy low carb format. Fajita Stuffed Chicken is a dish the whole family will love!
Fajita Stuffed Chicken is a great family meal. It combines all the things you love about fajitas in a tidy main dish. This recipe always impresses but is super simple and easy to make. Stuffed chicken recipes are always well received. They look fancy and impressive, but are surprisingly simple to make. With just a little preparation and the right ingredients, you can easily make these fajita stuffed chicken breasts and show off your chef skills. This recipe is also a great low-carb option for fajitas.
Chicken breasts are either flattened or “butterflied” to stuff with sautéed peppers and onions, and then baked with cheese to create an amazing flavor. Once you prepare the chicken and it is baking, you can easily whip up a side dish of salad, Spanish rice or veggies. Get ready to impress!
How should I cut my chicken so I can stuff it?There are a few different ways to stuff your chicken. You can butterfly it (slice lengthwise and fold it out into butterfly wings). You can pound it out thin, using a meat mallet, or even a rolling pin. You can also slice a little pocket into it.
How can I keep the stuffing from falling out while the chicken bakes?Use toothpicks to secure the chicken and help keep all that delicious stuffing on the inside. Slide the toothpicks right through the chicken vertically to pinch the chicken together. Just be sure to remove the toothpicks before serving.
What should I serve with stuffed chicken breasts?Veggies and salad are great options. Spanish Rice is also perfect for this meal. I love to eat these with guacamole, Mexican Street Corn Salad or one that combines some of each of these side dishes: Simple Black Bean and Corn Salad.
If you like this recipe, you may also be interested in these other delicious stuffed chicken recipes:
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Fajita Stuffed Chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 small white onion diced
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- 2 large mushrooms diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Saute until vegetables are tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic in during the last 1 minute of cooking. Remove from pan into a small bowl and set aside.
- Pound out chicken breasts until thin, or butterfly breasts. Spoon vegetable mixture into the middle. Sprinkle with cheese. Fold chicken breasts over so filling is inside. Secure with toothpicks if desired.
- In a small bowl combine cumin, chili powder, onion powder, salt, and red pepper flakes (if using). Sprinkle over chicken breasts.
- Wipe out the skillet you used for the vegetables and return to medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan along with butter. Add in chicken breasts and cook for 5-7 minutes per side, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drizzle with lime juice before serving and garnish with freshly chopped cilantro (optional).