Cheesy Herb Stuffed Chicken is stuffed with mushrooms and cheese, and rubbed with a delicious mixture of herbs. This will wow you!
Has anyone else gotten into a chicken breast rut recently? We love how versatile chicken breasts are, but let’s be honest, they are not the most flavorful cut of meat. To really cook them well, they need a hefty amount of fat and flavor added to them. And let us spill the beans now, this recipe completely delivers. Between the gooey cheese, mushrooms, and amazing blend of herbs, this is a recipe you’ll come back to time and time again.
How to Stuff Chicken for Cheesy Herb Stuffed Chicken:
There are a couple of different methods for stuffing chicken. The first, used in this recipe, involves using a sharp knife to cut a pocket in the side of a chicken breast. To do this you will need to have a fairly thick piece of chicken breast. Run your knife parallel to the cutting board and insert the tip of your knife into the thickest portion of the breast and continue cutting down lengthwise. In some stores, you can ask your butcher to do this for you right at the meat counter.
The second method is to butterfly your chicken. In some stores, you can purchase your chicken pre-butterflied or you can ask your butcher to do it for you at the meat counter. To do it yourself, use a sharp knife to slice your chicken in half so that it folds open like the wings of a butterfly. You will need to be careful not to cut all the way through so that the piece remains intact.
If you’d like to keep as much of the stuffing inside the chicken breast as possible and you are worried some might fall out, use toothpicks to secure the opening together and keep more of that stuffing inside. Just remember to remove your toothpicks before serving.
Dairy Free Options:
You can make this recipe dairy free by using your favorite plant-based shredded cheese and plant-based butter sticks.
Storage and Reheating Instructions:
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit until warmed through.
If you like this recipe you may be interested in these other stuffed chicken breast recipes.
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Stuffed Herbed Chicken Breasts
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 oz mushrooms sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Use a meat tenderizer to pound out the chicken breasts until about 1/4-inch thick.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13 pan.
- Place a pinch of cheese in the center of each chicken breast. Top with sliced mushrooms. Finish off with another pinch of cheese.
- Carefully roll up the chicken so mushrooms are completely inside. Secure the edges with toothpicks. Place in the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together basil, oregano, paprika, caraway, fennel, white pepper, and onion powder. Sprinkle generously over each chicken breast. Place a tablespoon of butter on top of each chicken breast.
- Bake in the preheated oven until chicken is cooked through to an internal temperature of 165 degrees, about 30-40 minutes.