This recipe packs all the yumminess of Mexican Street Corn into an easy to make salad. Serve it up as a side dish at your next barbecue or taco night because it’s muy sabroso!
Mexican street corn, or eloté, is a popular treat in Mexico and growing in popularity in the states as well. It consists of a corn on the cob with some special toppings, including mayonnaise, Cotija cheese and a chili powder spice. As a salad, this is a little easier to serve and prepare in advance, but has all the same delicious ingredients. You can also try adding the optional ingredients for a couple more flavors and textures or squeeze some lime over the top for a little extra zest!
Can I use canned corn or frozen corn?
If you’re in a pinch, you can use canned corn, however, fresh corn is always best. If you need to use an alternative, frozen corn is a better option as it was removed from the cob and flash frozen. Be sure to thaw it and drain it thoroughly of all excess moisture if you choose to go this route.
Where can I purchase cotija cheese?
Cotija is carried in most groceries stores near the cheeses or deli section. If you are unable to find it or you forgot to pick it up, Parmesan is similar and can be used as a substitute.
You may also be interested in these other delicious Mexican recipes:
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Mexican Street Corn Salad
- 6 ears corn shucked
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated Cotija cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Mexican hot sauce
- Wrap the corn in aluminum foil and place on a 400 degree grill or in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. Unwrap and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, Mexican crema, 1/4 cup of Cotija cheese, chili powder, and salt.
- Cut corn kernels from cob and stir into mayonnaise mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining Cotija cheese and cilantro. Dot with hot sauce.