It’s very possible these are the best carnitas you’ll ever have! This Beer Braised Carnitas recipe is full of authentic flavor and are super easy to make in the oven or the slow cooker.
Carnitas translates to “little meats” and generally refers to pork that has been braised until tender then shredded and then fried to crisp it up.
How should I serve carnitas?
Carnitas can be enjoyed as a main meat dish, served up with some Mexican Rice, Street Corn, or refried beans. Carnitas can also be used as a filling for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and quesadillas. We enjoy serving them up on some warm corn or flour tortillas with a little chopped cilantro, diced red onion, and crumbled queso fresco.
What kind of beer should I use in this recipe? Can I use something besides beer?
Any beer will work in this recipe as braising is a very forgiving cooking method. Different beer will alter the flavor ever so slightly. Because this is a Mexican dish we do recommend using a Mexican beer, and we prefer it is a light beer like Tecate, Dos Equis, Corona Extra, or Montejo.
If you don’t want to use beer in this recipe you can use chicken broth, ginger ale, white grape juice, beef broth, apple juice, apple cider, root beer, or coca cola.
If you like this recipe you may also be interested in one of our other amazing Mexican meat recipes:
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Authentic Beer Braised Carnitas
- 3 to 5 pound Pork Butt or Shoulder Roast
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil divided use
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces Mexican beer
- 1 large orange sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Trim roast and slice into 1/4 inch thick pieces. Preheat a large dutch oven or oven safe pot over high heat. Add in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and sear meat, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Combine spices and sprinkle over pork. Pour beer over meat and spices. Top with orange slices.
- Braise in the 350 degree oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until the meat can easily be shredded with a fork. Remove orange slices. Shred meat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Work in 3 batches and use tongs to place the meat into the oil and saute until crisp, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add in more oil for each batch. Serve hot.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox!
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!