Soft, chewy sugar cookies and rich, chocolate flavor come together along with a secret ingredient that makes these the best Chocolate Sugar Cookies you will ever make!
Sugar cookies are so good and fun to make. They’re chewy, a little cakey, and just sweet enough. You can top them with frosting or eat them plain with milk. You can cut them into festive shapes or make them round. We love any excuse to make sugar cookies, but there is no excuse needed to whip some of these up, they’re just good, that’s all. Yes, the beloved sugar cookie and the venerable chocolate, come together in this recipe—a treasured favorite! Sink your teeth into the yummiest chocolate cookie ever!
Do I have to use a stand mixer to make Chocolate Sugar Cookies?
You can use a stand mixer or a hand mixer. It is important that you use one of these, as the cream cheese and butter in the dough need to be whipped for the best texture.
Why do I need to use corn syrup?
The corn syrup helps to keep the cookies chewy, but if you don’t like corn syrup, you can omit it.
Do I have to refrigerate the dough?
No. The refrigeration process allows the dough to firm up enough to cut cookies with cookie cutters. If you like simple, round cookies, you can skip the refrigeration and roll the cookies into 1 inch dough balls and bake them right away. You can also roll those dough balls in granulated sugar for that sweet, sugar crystal effect.
Nutella lover? Turn this recipe into Nutella Sugar Cookies:
If you’d like, you can swap out the melted chocolate chips for 2/3 cups of Nutella, which will give these cookies that subtle and delicious hazelnut flavor.
Store your cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out some of our other amazing cookie recipes:
- Soft Sugar Cookies
- Gingerbread Cookies
- Chocolate Kiss Cookies
- Easy Pecan Sandies
- Cinnamon Roll Cookies
- Spiral Christmas Sugar Cookies
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter , softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cream cheese , softened
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips , melted
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter, sugar, and cream cheese until light and fluffy, using the whisk attachment.
- Mix in the corn syrup, vanilla, egg, and melted chocolate, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl so that everything gets mixed in.
- Switch your mixer attachment to a paddle or dough hook. Mix in cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda until everything is mixed in.
- Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets or line with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 1/4 inch thick. Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes, re-rolling the dough as necessary.
- Place cookies on the prepared baking sheets. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 2 to 3 minutes on the pan before carefully removing to cool completely on a wire cooling rack.