Pecan Sandies are a super easy, must make for the holidays cookie, and require only a few ingredients. They are also known as Mexican wedding cookies. No matter what you call them they are simply delicious!
You might recognize Pecan Sandies as Mexican wedding cookies, and that is accurate, as they are one and the same. We love making Pecan Sandies for almost any occasion, but especially during the holidays. These cookies have a rich, buttery taste, crumbly, nutty texture and are not as sweet as chocolate chip or sugar cookies. They are a great addition to a cookie assortment and offer that distinct texture and flavor that dial down the sugar just a bit.
Is Easy Pecan Sandies dough supposed to be so crumbly?
Yes. These cookies are meant to have a crumbly texture, similar to shortbread. The dough will come together just enough to form into the ball cookie shapes.
Should I refrigerate this dough?
You don’t have to refrigerate the dough for these cookies, but if you want the cookies to be more ball-like, you will want to chill the shaped cookies for at least 30 minutes while the oven pre-heats. If you don’t refrigerate them, they will just flatten out a little more. They will still taste great.
Any finely chopped nut will work in these cookies. Walnuts and almonds are especially good alternatives to pecans.
Alternatively, if you have nut allergies or just don’t like them in your baked goods, these cookies are still absolutely delicious without nuts.
Store your cookies in an airtight container on the counter for up to one week.
Here are more delicious and festive holiday cookies to try:
- Perfect Cowboy Cookies
- Cinnamon Roll Cookies
- Old Fashioned Gingerbread Cookies
- Spiral Christmas Sugar Cookies
- Cinnamon Candy Cane Cookies
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
- 1 cup butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar for rolling
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in water and vanilla.
- Stir in flour and pecans until well combined. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place at least 2 inches apart onto two lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Place shaped cookies into the fridge for 30 minutes while the oven preheats to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from oven and let cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Roll cooled cookies in powdered sugar*. Store in an airtight container. Cookies stay good for about 3 to 5 days.