Get in the Christmas spirit with these adorable Cinnamon Candy Cane Cookies. This is an easy and tasty recipe that’s perfect to make with the kids this holiday season.
Holiday cookie baking has begun and we are over the moon thrilled with how these cookies turned out. Red and white cookie dough are twisted together to make delicious and adorable candy canes. They look so good, we almost don’t want to eat them! …almost.
These cookies taste like a sugar cookie with just a hint of cinnamon running through the red portion of the dough. You’ll be amazed at how simple they are to make. Grab your kids and head to the kitchen because this is a recipe they can easily help with, no matter their skill level.
Can I make the cinnamon flavor stronger in Cinnamon Candy Cane Cookies?If you want a strong cinnamon flavor to this cookie, add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon extract to the dough. Cinnamon extract can be hard to find sometimes, but it’s common enough during the holiday season. If they don’t have it with the regular extracts look near the items used for candy making.
What type of food coloring should I use?There are many different options of food coloring: powder, liquid, gel, and natural food colorings. Any of them can work, but we highly recommend gel for the most even and deep color.
Storage Instructions:Store your cookies in an airtight container. Homemade cookies tend to dry out within a few days, so go ahead and freeze any that you won’t be able to consume quickly. Always freeze in a freezer safe container. They should last in the freezer for 3 months.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious holiday cookie recipes:
- Easy Pecan Sandies
- Old Fashioned Gingerbread Cookies
- Spiral Christmas Sugar Cookies
- Old Fashioned Orange Slice Oatmeal Cookies
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Cinnamon Candy Cane Cookies
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon red gel food coloring
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking liner.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add in flour and salt and mix until well combined.
- Divide dough in half. Add cinnamon to one half of the dough and dye with red food coloring.
- Pinch about 1 to 1 ½ tablespoons worth of dough each from the white and red dough. Roll into about a 5 inch rope.
- Place the two ropes side by side and gently twist together. Curve the top down into the shape of a candy cane. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Place onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them 1 to 2 inches apart. Cookies will retain their shape.
- Bake in the 375 degree oven for 7 to 10 minutes. Let sit on the pan for 1 to 2 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.