Why do I need to chill my dough?
Chilling your dough will re-solidify the fat in the recipe and make your dough much easier to work with. Chilling the dough is an important step to take so that it can be easily rolled out and cut into shapes.
What kind of icing should I use for decorating?
My Other Recipes
You can use store bought decorators icing for decorating gingerbread cookies which is sold in tubes or pouches. Another option is to make your own homemade royal icing and dye it the colors you’d like. You want to make sure that you are using an icing, not a frosting as they are two different things. Detailed decorating is best done with icing. Be careful when working with icing as it does dry fairly quickly.
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Old Fashioned Gingerbread Cookies
- 6 tablespoons salted butter softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar tightly packed
- 1/3 cup dark molasses
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Use a hand mixer or stand mixer to cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Mix in molasses, egg, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, baking soda, and salt until smooth, scraping the sides as necessary. Add in the flour until well incorporated.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and rap the dough in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough out to 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Use a gingerbread man cookie cutter (or other shapes) to cut out cookies. Lay cut cookies on the prepared baking sheet, 1 to 2 inches apart. Re-roll the dough as necessary to cut out cookies until dough is gone.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool on pan for 2 minutes before removing and cooling on a wire rack. Cool completely (about 30 minutes) before decorating
- 1 gingerbread man cookie cutter (or other shape)
- royal icing, for decorating
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!