This classic Orange Slice Oatmeal Cookie is packed with flavor and texture. Chewy and sweet orange, coconut, and oats come together in this yummy and nostalgic treat.
If you’ve never had one of these before, you’re in for a pleasant surprise. You will love the texture and flavor of this sweet and chewy traditional cookie. Orange slice candy has been around for a long time, but as candy evolves, we sometimes forget about the classics. This beloved candy makes a fun appearance in this delightfully flavorful cookie. For the skeptic who may be thinking orange slice cookies are for grandmas, we can assure you that this isn’t your grandma’s cookie. Hey, try something new, or revisit an old favorite. Either way, this cookie deserves to be taken for a spin.
Can I use unsweetened coconut flakes?
Yes. You can use either sweetened or unsweetened coconut flakes, It doesn’t change the cookie and is almost unnoticeable in terms of flavor.
You can use either salted or unsalted butter without changing the cookies.
Can I make Old Fashioned Orange Slice Oatmeal Cookies in advance?
Yes. This dough can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container in the freezer for 3 to 4 months. Be sure to mark your container with the date it was made. When you are ready to make the cookies, simply thaw the dough and follow baking instructions.
Store your cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
If you’re looking for other delicious cookie recipes, here are some fun ones to try:
- Perfect Cowboy Cookies
- Cinnamon Roll Cookies
- Chocolate Kiss Cookies
- Old Fashioned Gingerbread Cookies
- Chocolate Turtle Cookies
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Old Fashioned Orange Slice Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup salted butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups orange slice candies diced
- 2 cups quick oats
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together butter, brown sugar, and sugar until creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add in eggs and vanilla and beat well until combined.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until combined.
- Cut the orange slices into small pieces. Fold into cookie dough along with oats and coconut flakes.
- Roll into 1 1/2 to 2-inch balls and place onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes until lightly browned.