These Chocolate Turtle Cookies are ultra decadent, soft, and delicious. Any chocolate lover will go crazy for this delicious cookie recipe!
The chocolate cookie base in this recipe is an incredible mix between a brownie and a cookie. It’s decadently divine if I do say so myself. Add in some chopped pecans and top it all off with a caramel drizzle and you have one decadent cookie that any chocolate lover will go crazy over. I’m telling you, these might be my new favorite cookie!
You can use unwrapped caramel candies in this recipe (as show in the photos) or you can use caramel bits. Caramel bits are little round bits of caramel that are easily melted. I’ve noticed that sometimes you can only find these in your grocery store during the fall–holiday baking season–so be on the lookout!
If you want to make it clear that there are nuts in these cookies, I recommend placing some halved pecans right on top in a decorative fashion. Not only will this be a clear indicator of nuts (which keeps my children at bay), it also adds a bit of style to them.
The price of nuts is always fluctuating. You can easily substitute walnuts in this recipe for a similarly delicious cookie treat. I guess they won’t technically be “turtle” cookies at that point, but your secret is safe with me!
These cookies should be stored in an airtight container once cooled. Be sure to cool the cookies completely before storing. The cookies should be stored in one layer to prevent the caramel from being transferred off the tops and onto the bottoms of other cookies. You can easily do this in a plastic bag, or you can use a tupperware container.
Watch the video below where I walk you through every step of this sinfully delicious recipe. It’ll have you drooling in no time! I like to give you a visual reference point, but in this case, it really should come with a drool warning!
Chocolate Turtle Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 14 baking caramels, unwrapped
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Cream together butter, sugar, and brown sugar using a stand mixer or hand mixer.
- Add in eggs and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Beat in cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Use a spoon or rubber spatula to stir in flour until combined. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans.
- Scoop out about two tablespoons of the cookie dough and roll into a ball and place on prepared pans. Repeat with remaining dough until you have 24 cookies. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place unwrapped caramels and heavy cream into a microwave safe bowl. Place in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, and microwave again for 30 seconds. Continue until caramel is completely melted and smooth.
- Once the cookies are out of the oven drizzle with caramel and let cool completely on a wire rack.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!