How do you make sugar cookies from scratch?
Making sugar cookies from scratch is very easy. You can use a stand mixer or a hand mixer to make the dough.
How do you get sugar cookies to keep their shape?
Sugar cookies that keep their shape require refrigeration of the dough. Once the dough is made, wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. This allows the fats in the dough to re-solidify which prevents spreading during baking. Roll the refrigerated dough out 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut out your desired shapes and place on a prepared baking sheet. If you want the cookies to retain their shape as perfectly as possible, return the cut cookies to the fridge for at least 30 minutes more before baking.
How do you make soft sugar cookies?
The key to soft sugar cookies is to include a small amount of cream cheese as well as corn syrup. This combination creates the perfect soft and chewy sugar cookie that everyone always loves.
What do you use to decorate sugar cookies?
You can decorate sugar cookies with a simple buttercream frosting and sprinkles or go for a more intricate design with icing. You can use a simple powdered sugar icing by whisking together 1 cup of powdered sugar with 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk. For the most intricate designs, it is best to use a royal icing. With any of these options, you can use food coloring to dye your frosting the colors you desire. Gel food colorings are the easiest to work with and create the most vibrant colors.
For a fun Christmas version of this recipe check out my Spiral Christmas Sugar Cookies. I’ve taken this recipe, layered it with colors, and rolled it into a spiral swirl. You could do this with other colors to make them special for any occasion or holiday.
PRO TIP: This sugar cookie recipe has a mild flavoring. For a strong flavor, double the amount of almond extract. The extra 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract may seem like a small amount, but it provides a strong flavor.
Watch the video below where I walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual and I am here to hold your hand every step of the way. You can find all of the episodes of my cooking show over on YouTube or in their associated recipes right here on the website.
Sugar Cookie Recipe
Perfectly Soft Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup salted butter softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup salted butter softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter, sugar, and cream cheese until light and fluffy using the whisk attachment. Mix in the corn syrup, vanilla, almond extract, and egg, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl so that everything gets mixed in.
- Switch your mixer attachment to a paddle or dough hook. Mix in flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda until everything is mixed in.
- Pinch off 1 tablespoon of dough. Roll into a ball and gently press between hands or fingers to flatten. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place cookies on the prepared baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 2 to 3 minutes on the pan before carefully removing to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- To make the frosting, cream butter with a hand mixer in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla extract. Slowly add in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing in between until thick. Use milk as needed to thin out. Dye with food coloring if desired.
- Frost cookies once completely cooled. Store in an airtight container.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!