Zesty, cheesy and perfect for pizza night this Pepperoni Stromboli recipe is an easy and delicious addition to your weeknight routine!
We do a lot of pizza round here. Like a lot! We have 4 kids to feed and sometimes are short on time, so we love to whip up pizza whenever we can. Sometimes its frozen and sometimes it’s homemade but whatever version it is it always goes over well.
The dough used in this Stromboli recipe is my all time favorite go-to dough of choice. It has minimal ingredients and whips up quick (minus the rising time). We have used it for breadsticks, pizza crust and stuffed cheesy bread and it has never failed us once!
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STROMBOLI AND A CALZONE?
A calzone is pretty much just a pizza folded in half, stuffed with your favorite pizza toppings and baked. A calzone is rolled so it has layers of your crust and toppings in each and every slice.
WHAT IS IN A STROMBOLI?
You can pretty much put anything you want in your Stromboli. The basics are starting with either a pizza dough or a bread dough and you stuff it with cheese, pizza sauce and cold cut meats. We like to mix it up and do different variations of our strombolis making them chicken, supreme, Philly cheesesteak and so many others.
HOW LONG IS STROMBOLI COOKED?
Stromboli is usually baked in a 400 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes depending on the size. They don’t take long to bake up and they feed a crowd!
With our kids in so many activities throughout the year, we like to keep some homemade pizza dough on hand for the nights where we want to whip out some regular pizza or these delicious Pepperoni Strombolis!
- ¾ cup warm water
- 1 Tbs granulated sugar
- 1½ tsp active dry yeast
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup pizza sauce
- Pepperoni slices
- 1-1½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- In bowl of stand mixer whisk together water, sugar and yeast and let sit for 10 minutes to proof.
- Add in flour and salt and with dough hook mix on medium speed until dough comes together.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured piece of parchment paper and roll out into a large rectangle.
- Spread your pizza sauce over dough until about 1" away from edges.
- Top with desired amount of pepperoni and then sprinkle with cheese.
- Roll up cinnamon roll style and transfer parchment paper to a baking sheet.
- Brush with egg and sprinkle with parmesan and parsley.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Serve with extra pizza sauce if desired.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!