This Sausage and Cheese Calzone has a made-from-scratch dough that’s stuffed with flavorful Jimmy Dean Premium Pork Sausage and cheese for a delicious dinner that is sure to please.
This recipe is sponsored by Jimmy Dean. All opinions expressed are my own.
I grew up eating Jimmy Dean Premium Pork Sausage. My mom always used it to serve up yummy foods made from fresh sausage. It has a unique blend of signature seasonings that makes your favorite recipes shine. We always use Jimmy Dean in our house, because it is simply the best.
What is the difference between a stromboli and a calzone?
Both stromboli and calzone are a type of turnover filled with meats and cheeses. A stromboli is made from a rectangular piece of dough that has been topped with fillings. It is then rolled into a log shape and baked. A calzone is made from a circular piece of dough and the fillings are placed in the center. It is then folded into a half circle shape and baked.
What does calzone mean?
Calzone is an Italian word that refers to a folded pizza. Calzone originates in the Naples region of Italy.
What kind of sausage should I use in this recipe?
This recipe requires a fresh sausage that needs to be cooked. I recommend Jimmy Dean Premium Pork Sausage. They have several different flavor options so you can choose from Regular, Hot, Sage, or Maple to give your recipe a unique twist. I personally prefer Regular or Hot in this recipe.
Can I use a different type of cheese?
Yes! This recipe calls for shredded mozzarella cheese, but you can switch things up and customize this recipe to your own personal taste preferences. Shredded provolone, fresh mozzarella, gouda, or even cheddar are all great options. The important thing to remember is that you just need a cheese that melts well.
More great sausage recipes:
- Sausage and Tomato Stuffed Mushrooms
- Maple Sausage and Waffle Breakfast Sandwich
- Maple Sausage and Sage Strata
- 1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1⅓ cups warm water (approx. 105 degrees F)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 to 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package Jimmy Dean Premium Pork Sausage
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine yeast, brown sugar, salt, water, olive oil, and flour. Knead on low until dough starts to come together. Continue kneading until the dough forms a nice, soft dough ball and the sides of the bowl are clean.
- Let rise in a lightly greased bowl, covered, for 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add in Jimmy Dean Premium Pork Regular Sausage and cook 5 minutes. Use a spatula to break up the sausage into crumbles. After 5 minutes, add in the bell peppers and mushrooms. Continue to saute until vegetables are tender crisp and sausage is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll into circles with a 12-inch diameter. Spoon the sausage mixture onto one half of the dough, leaving a 1 inch edge. Top with ½ cup cheese per calzone. Fold the dough over the filling and seal the edges.
- Transfer stuffed calzones to a lightly greased baking sheet. Use a sharp knife to make three slits in the top of each calzone to allow steam to vent.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes until bread is golden brown. Serve hot.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!