Savor the nostalgia of French bread pizza with this easy and budget-friendly recipe that busy moms will love! Perfect for weeknight dinners or impromptu gatherings, this tasty dish delivers the classic flavors you remember from your childhood.
Combining the heartiness of a traditional pizza with the crispy crust of French bread, this French bread pizza recipe is a game-changer for those who want to enjoy a comforting meal without spending hours in the kitchen. The versatility of this dish allows you to personalize it with your favorite toppings and adjust the baking time to achieve your desired level of crispiness. Plus, it’s an excellent way to use up leftover bread or introduce new flavors to the pizza-loving members of your family.
A Rich History With A Twist
Although the origins of pizza can be traced back to ancient civilizations, the modern version we know and love today was popularized in Naples, Italy, in the 18th century. French bread pizza, on the other hand, is an American invention that emerged in the 1970s as a creative and convenient alternative to traditional pizza. By using a baguette or a loaf of French bread as the base, this adaptation offers a unique spin on the classic Italian dish while maintaining its familiar flavors and textures.
Topping Ideas For Every Taste
The beauty of French bread pizza lies in its customizability. Some popular topping suggestions include:
- Classic: pepperoni, sausage, and mushrooms
- Veggie delight: bell peppers, onions, olives, and spinach
- Hawaiian: ham and pineapple
- Meat lovers: bacon, ground beef, and ham
- Gourmet: prosciutto, arugula, and goat cheese. Feel free to mix and match or get creative with your own combinations!
Frequently Asked Questions
While French bread is recommended for its crispy crust and soft interior, you can also use other types of bread such as Italian bread or a baguette. Just make sure to adjust the baking time if the bread is thicker or thinner than French bread.
Pre-baking the bread with the butter mixture helps create a barrier that prevents the sauce from soaking into the bread. Make sure to spread the sauce evenly, but don’t overdo it, as too much sauce can still make the bread soggy.
Yes, you can freeze assembled French bread pizza before baking. Wrap each half tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place it in a freezer-safe bag. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. To bake, preheat the oven and bake the pizza directly from frozen, adding a few extra minutes to the baking time to ensure it cooks through.
Absolutely! Store-bought pizza sauce can save you time and still provide a delicious flavor for your French bread pizza. Feel free to use your favorite brand or homemade sauce if you prefer.
French bread pizza is best enjoyed fresh out of the oven, but it can also be served with a side salad, steamed vegetables, or a bowl of soup for a more balanced meal. It’s the perfect dish for informal gatherings, game nights, or a cozy family dinner.
Make Ahead Instructions
You can prepare the French bread pizza ahead of time by assembling the buttered bread, sauce, cheese, and toppings. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. When you’re ready to bake, simply remove the wrap and follow the baking instructions in the recipe.
Storage & Reheating Instructions
Leftover French bread pizza should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place it on a baking sheet and warm it in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit until your desired temperature.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious pizza-based recipes:
Watch the video below where Caytlin will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
French Bread Pizza
- 1 loaf French bread
- 8 ounces softened butter
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2-2 cups pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Toppings as desired e.g., pepperoni, ham, sausage, olives, mushrooms, pineapple
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the French bread in half lengthwise.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the softened butter, garlic powder, and oregano.
- Place the bread on a baking sheet, cut side up, and spread the butter mixture evenly across the top. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan.
- Bake for about 5 minutes, or until the surface has browned slightly.
- Remove from the oven and spread the pizza sauce evenly across the top.
- Spread the shredded mozzarella cheese evenly and then add desired toppings.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and browned.
- Let cool, slice, and enjoy!