Strawberry Shortcake is a classic dessert that is perfect for spring and summer. This three layer strawberry dessert is not only beautiful, it’s also delicious!
Shortcake is a centuries old English recipe that dates back to the 1500s. This recipe for Strawberry Shortcake is absolute perfection and is easily converted from a 3 layer cake, to individual portions. Whether you want a beautiful 3 layer cake, or individual servings, this recipe has you covered. Continue reading to learn more about strawberry shortcake, or scroll straight to the recipe below.
My Other Recipes
Why do they call it a shortcake?
A lot of people think the name comes from the height of the cake, but it isn’t so. The name “shortcake” is derived from an old English cooking definition of short which referred to something made crisp with the addition of fat. Shortcake is a crisp, crumbly cake made from butter which is how it got its name.
Is shortcake a biscuit?
In many parts of the world, the term biscuit refers to a cookie. In the United States, the term biscuit is used to describe a scone-like baked good that is crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. Shortcake is not a cookie-type biscuit, but rather more similar to a scone-like biscuit. Shortcake is sweeter, but the preparations are very similar.
How do you prepare strawberries for strawberry shortcake?
Strawberries need to be rinsed and patted dry before using in a recipe to remove any dirt, debris, or chemicals. For strawberry shortcake, the strawberries will need to be hulled and either sliced or quartered. Sugar is then added to macerate the strawberries.
What is hulling a strawberry?
To hull a strawberry, you need to remove the leafy green portion of the strawberry, as well as the pale white portion surrounding it. Use a sharp knife and cut at a slight angle in a circle around the base of the leaves. Remove the hull and leaves and discard.
How can I convert this recipe to individual servings?
For individual servings, or any other size for that matter, the only changes you need to make to the recipe are shaping the dough and the baking time of the biscuits. For individual shortcakes, use a spoon to scoop spoonfuls of dough (approximately 3 tablespoons in size) to a parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving about 2-inches between each. Reduce the baking time to 15 minutes.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other fantastic desserts:
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
- Quick and Easy Nutella Mousse
- The Most Amazing Vanilla Cake
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 tablespoons cold butter cubed
- 1 cup 2% or whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 pounds strawberries hulled and quartered
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease 3 (9-inch) round cake pans.
- In a food processor, mix together flour, powdered sugar, baking powder and salt. Add in butter cubes and pulse until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Pour in the milk and heavy cream and pulse until a sticky dough forms.
- Divide dough into 3. Press into the bottom of the prepared pans into a flat, smooth layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until tops begin to turn a golden brown. Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, add strawberries to a large mixing bowl and toss together with lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar.
- Whip the heavy cream with powdered sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla extract using either a hand or stand mixer until the cream forms stiff peaks.
- Assemble cake once completely cooled with strawberries and whipped cream between each layer. Store in fridge.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox ?
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!