Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies are all the goodness of melt-in-your-mouth shortbread combined with a little bit of chocolate. Your family will love these easy tasty cookies!
These cookies look so fancy and impressive, but guess what? They only require a handful of ingredients and are super easy to make. You’ve got to love that! On top of all that, they are also super tasty. These are great for a tea party, baby shower, brunch, or just for a regular old treat. We’ve dipped these cookies in melted chocolate, but you also don’t have to dip them in chocolate at all. It adds a fun and fancy finishing touch and a higher chocolate content, but you can also have these cookies plain as well.
Do I need a stand mixer to make Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
You will need either a hand mixer or a stand mixer for this recipe to adequate beat together the butter and powdered sugar.
We love adding chocolate chips to our shortbread cookies, but you can always make a plain shortbread cookie without them.
Can I use cookie cutters?
These cookies hold their shape which means you can cut them in squares or rectangles as shown, or you can use cookie cutters to come up with your own shape. Smaller cookie cutters may require a slightly shorter cooking time so be sure to watch them closely.
Store your cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious cookie recipes:
- Nutella Stuffed Churro Cookies
- Easy Pecan Sandies
- Chocolate Kiss Cookies
- The Ultimate Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookie
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 8 oz melting chocolate wafers
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to beat together butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Add in vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Add in flour and mix just until flour disappears. Fold in mini chocolate chips.
- Transfer dough to a gallon-sized resealable plastic bag, or place between two layers of plastic wrap. Roll until 1/4 inch thick. Refrigerate on a flat surface until firm, about 1 to 2 hours.
- Remove dough from plastic and use a butter knife to cut into equal-sized squares or rectangles. Transfer cut pieces to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 18-20 minutes, until edges are just lightly kissed with brown.
- Melt dipping chocolate in a small microwave safe bowl by microwaving on high for 30 seconds at a time, stirring between. Dip cookies in chocolate covering 1/3 or 1/2 of the cookie and transfer to parchment paper to harden.