Strawberry cream cheese star bread is a delicious and creative twist on the traditional star bread recipe. It combines the flavors of sweet strawberries and tangy cream cheese to create a unique and delicious bread that is perfect for breakfast, dessert, or even a snack. The dough is shaped into the signature star shape, and it is filled with a mixture of cream cheese and strawberry jam before being baked.
Star bread — also known as snowflake bread — looks fairly elaborate and potentially even difficult to put together, but it is so easy to make! Add it to the menu for a yummy addition to a brunch, or as a sweet dessert after a savory meal. No matter where and when you decide to serve yours, it’s always a fan favorite!
There are many different directions you can take the dough for this star bread recipe. We almost always use our homemade cinnamon roll dough, but you can also use:
- Store-bought dough (you’ll need about 2 pounds)
- Crescent sheets (2 to 4 packages)
- Puff pastry dough (2 pounds)
- Pie crust circle dough (4 crust rounds)
Other Topping Ideas
This recipe uses a simple cream cheese glaze to drizzle over the top which pairs well with the cream cheese and strawberry jam filling, but you could also experiment with other topping options including:
- Powdered sugar: Sprinkle powdered sugar over the star bread for a sweet and elegant touch.
- Honey: Drizzle honey over the star bread for a sweet and sticky finish.
- Simple Glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon of water or milk and 1/4 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract. Add more water or milk as needed to create a thin consistency that can easily be drizzled over the dough.
One way to make this snowflake bread recipe ahead of time is to prep and then freeze it. You can either freeze the dough before baking or freeze it after you’ve baked it:
- To freeze the dough: Follow the dough recipe instructions on the recipe card below. “Punch” the dough down after it’s risen to remove any excess air. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, then add a layer of aluminum foil. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months! When ready to bake, allow the dough to thaw in the fridge overnight, then follow the shaping and baking instructions as indicated.
- To freeze already-baked star bread: Allow the bread to cool completely, then place it in an airtight, freezer-safe container. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight, then reheat it in the oven at 350 degrees F until warmed through, about 5-10 minutes.
Other Flavor Options
Storage and Reheating Instructions
You can store any leftover star bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. If you want to get a bit more longevity out of it, you can also store it in the fridge where it will keep for one week. If you want to reheat it, you can do so in the microwave at 30-second increments until warmed through.
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Star Bread (AKA Snowflake Bread)
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons salted butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine warm milk, yeast, sugar, salt, butter, and eggs. Add in flour. Use a dough hook and turn on to a low speed.
- Once the flour starts to incorporate into the dough, increase the speed to a medium range. Add more flour as necessary so that the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. The dough mixture should be soft and tacky, but not stick to your hands. Add more or less flour until the dough reaches the desired consistency. The amount of flour you add in bread making is always an approximation and you should go by feel.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased mixing bowl. Cover with a towel and let rise until double in size, about 1 hour.
Shaping and Baking Instrucitons
- Take dough and divide it into 4 even pieces. Roll each piece into a large circle, roughly the width of your baking sheet.
- Lay one circle down onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Spread 1/3 of the cream cheese across the dough then a layer of strawberry jam on top of that leaving 1/4 inch around the edge of the circle.
- Continue layering with the remaining pieces, but leave the 4th and final piece plain on top.
- Use a small 2-inch bowl to mark the center (or eyeball it) and then use a knife to cut 16 equal strands, leaving the small circle in the center.
- Take two of the strands and twist in opposite directions, 2-3 times, and then pinch the edges shut to seal. Continue twisting pieces together until all pieces are twisted and you have a large star shape.
- Bake immediately (no rising) in a 350 degree F oven for 20-25 minutes. Once cooled, drizzle with cream cheese glaze, serve plain, frost with your favorite frosting, or dust with powdered sugar.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer until it is smooth and creamy. Add the powdered sugar and beat until it is well combined and there are no lumps.
- Gradually add the milk or water, beating until the glaze is smooth and has a pourable consistency. You may need to add more or less milk depending on the desired consistency. Stir in the vanilla extract, if using, for extra flavor.
- Use the glaze immediately, or transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.