Gruyere Caramelized Onion Star Bread is a savory and delicious twist on this beautiful bread that is surprisingly easy to make. It combines the flavors of rich and nutty gruyere cheese and sweet and tangy caramelized onions to create a unique and flavorful bread that is perfect for an appetizer, brunch, lunch, or a snack.
A soft yeast dough is shaped into the signature star form then filled with layers of gruyere cheese and caramelized onions before being baked. Once it is baked, the star bread is topped with more gruyere cheese and baked again until the cheese is melted and golden brown. The result is a crispy and flaky bread with a rich and savory flavor that is sure to satisfy any cheese lover. It’s the perfect way to enjoy the flavors of gruyere and caramelized onions in a fun and creative way.
There are several different options you can use when it comes to the dough for making star bread, each of which has its own fun twist on the texture and design of your final loaf. We almost always use our homemade cinnamon roll dough, but you can also use:
- Store-bought dough (you’ll need about 2 pounds)
- Crescent sheets (2 to 4 packages)
- Puff pastry dough (2 pounds)
- Pie crust circle dough (4 crust rounds)
Other Topping Ideas
- Melted Butter: Brush 2 tablespoons of melted butter over the top of the finished star bread.
- Cheese: Brush 2 tablespoons of melted butter over the top of the star bread before baking and top with the shredded cheese of your choice.
- Garlic: In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of melted butter with 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic. Brush over the top of the star bread after baking.
One way to make this snowflake bread recipe ahead of time is to prep and then freeze it. You can either freeze the dough before baking or freeze it after you’ve baked it:
- To freeze the dough: Follow the dough recipe instructions on the recipe card below. “Punch” the dough down after it’s risen to remove any excess air. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, then add a layer of aluminum foil. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months! When ready to bake, allow the dough to thaw in the fridge overnight, then follow the shaping and baking instructions as indicated.
- To freeze already-baked star bread: Allow the bread to cool completely, then place it in an airtight, freezer-safe container. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight, then reheat it in the oven at 350 degrees F until warmed through, about 5-10 minutes.
Other Flavor Options
Storage and Reheating Instructions
You can store any leftover star bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. If you want to get a bit more longevity out of it, you can also store it in the fridge where it will keep for one week. If you want to reheat it, you can do so in the microwave at 30-second increments until warmed through.