Baklava-flavored star bread is a delicious twist on the traditional star bread recipe. This twisted bread is filled with a mixture of chopped walnuts, pistachios, almonds, and cinnamon and is topped with a drizzle of honey. The result is a sweet and fragrant bread that tastes like the popular Middle Eastern dessert, baklava. It’s the perfect treat for anyone who loves the flavors of baklava but wants to try something new and unique. Serve it as a dessert, a snack, or a breakfast treat, and enjoy the delicious flavors of baklava in a fun and creative way.
There are many different directions you can take the dough for this star bread recipe. We almost always use our homemade cinnamon roll dough, but you can also use:
- Store-bought dough (you’ll need about 2 pounds)
- Crescent sheets (2 to 4 packages)
- Puff pastry dough (2 pounds)
- Pie crust circle dough (4 crust rounds)
Other Topping Ideas
Feel free to top your star bread recipe with your choice of frosting or simply add some powdered sugar. Here are some other fun topping ideas to try:
- Powdered sugar: Sprinkle powdered sugar over the star bread for a sweet and elegant touch.
- Melted Butter: Simply brush 2 tablespoons of melted butter over the top of the finished star bread.
- Simple Glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon of water or milk and 1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract. Add more water or milk as needed to create a thin consistency that can easily be drizzled over the dough.
- Brown sugar and cinnamon crumble: In a medium bowl, stir together the 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon until well combined. Add in 1/4 cup of melted butter and stir until the mixture forms a crumbly dough. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the star bread just before baking.
One way to make this snowflake bread recipe ahead of time is to prep and then freeze it. You can either freeze the dough before baking or freeze it after you’ve baked it:
- To freeze the dough: Follow the dough recipe instructions on the recipe card below. “Punch” the dough down after it’s risen to remove any excess air. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, then add a layer of aluminum foil. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months! When ready to bake, allow the dough to thaw in the fridge overnight, then follow the shaping and baking instructions as indicated.
- To freeze already-baked star bread: Allow the bread to cool completely, then place it in an airtight, freezer-safe container. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight, then reheat it in the oven at 350 degrees F until warmed through, about 5-10 minutes.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
You can store any leftover star bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. If you want to get a bit more longevity out of it, you can also store it in the fridge where it will keep for one week. If you want to reheat it, you can do so in the microwave at 30-second increments until warmed through.
Other Flavor Options
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes