Almond star bread is a delicious and unique twist on the traditional star bread recipe. It uses an almond paste brown sugar filling to create a sweet and fragrant bread that is perfect for breakfast, dessert, or a snack. The dough is shaped into the signature star shape and the result is a soft and flaky bread with a sweet and nutty flavor that is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth.
There are many different directions you can take the dough for this star bread recipe. We almost always use our homemade cinnamon roll dough, but you can also use:
- Store-bought dough (you’ll need about 2 pounds)
- Crescent sheets (2 to 4 packages)
- Puff pastry dough (2 pounds)
- Pie crust circle dough (4 crust rounds)
Other Topping Ideas
This recipe uses a simple egg wash to top the dough, with slivered almonds sprinkled on top. You can also use other topping options
- Powdered sugar: Sprinkle powdered sugar over the star bread for a sweet and elegant touch.
- Honey: Drizzle honey over the star bread for a sweet and sticky finish.
- Simple Glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon of water or milk and 1/4 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract. Add more water or milk as needed to create a thin consistency that can easily be drizzled over the dough.
One way to make this snowflake bread recipe ahead of time is to prep and then freeze it. You can either freeze the dough before baking or freeze it after you’ve baked it:
- To freeze the dough: Follow the dough recipe instructions on the recipe card below. “Punch” the dough down after it’s risen to remove any excess air. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, then add a layer of aluminum foil. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months! When ready to bake, allow the dough to thaw in the fridge overnight, then follow the shaping and baking instructions as indicated.
- To freeze already-baked star bread: Allow the bread to cool completely, then place it in an airtight, freezer-safe container. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight, then reheat it in the oven at 350 degrees F until warmed through, about 5-10 minutes.
Other Flavor Options
Storage and Reheating Instructions
You can store any leftover star bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. If you want to get a bit more longevity out of it, you can also store it in the fridge where it will keep for one week. If you want to reheat it, you can do so in the microwave at 30-second increments until warmed through.
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Almond Star Bread
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons salted butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond paste softened
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine warm milk, yeast, sugar, salt, butter, and eggs. Add in flour. Use a dough hook and turn on to a low speed.
- Once the flour starts to incorporate into the dough, increase the speed to a medium range. Add more flour as necessary so that the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. The dough mixture should be soft and tacky, but not stick to your hands. Add more or less flour until the dough reaches the desired consistency. The amount of flour you add in bread making is always an approximation and you should go by feel.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased mixing bowl. Cover with a towel and let rise until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Take dough and divide it into 4 even pieces. Roll each piece into a large circle, roughly the width of your baking sheet.
- Lay one circle down onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Spread 1/3 of the almond mixture across the top making sure to leave 1/4 inch around the edge of the circle.
- Continue layering with the remaining pieces, but leave the 4th and final piece plain on top.
- Use a small 2-inch bowl to mark the center (or eyeball it) and then use a knife to cut 16 equal strands, leaving the small circle in the center.
- Take two of the strands and twist in opposite directions, 2-3 times, and then pinch the edges shut to seal. Continue twisting pieces together until all pieces are twisted and you have a large star shape.
Topping and Baking Instructions
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and water together until they are well combined.Use a pastry brush to brush the egg wash over the surface of the dough. Sprinkle slivered almonds over the top.
- Bake immediately (no rising) in a 350 degree F oven for 20-25 minutes. Once cooled, serve plain, frost with your favorite frosting, or dust with powdered sugar.