Savory Tomato Pie is a Southern comfort food classic. Layers of tomato, onion, basil, and cheese are baked in a flaky pie crust shell for an indulgent savory pie that is hard to resist!
What kind of tomatoes should I use to make tomato pie?
The prettiest tomato pies are made using several different colors of heirloom tomatoes. If you aren’t as concerned about looks, we recommend using a plum tomato like Roma tomatoes as they have the least amount of liquid. However, any garden tomato will work to make tomato pie.
Can I use a frozen pie crust to make tomato pie?
Tomato pie can be made using a homemade pie crust or a frozen pie crust. Either way, the pie crust will need to be baked prior to making your tomato pie. Follow the directions on the frozen pie crust for baking an empty shell. If using homemade, be sure to pierce your crust with a fork all over the bottom and sides and use pie weights or raw beans to weight down your crust.
Can I freeze tomato pie?
It is not recommended that you freeze a southern style tomato pie. The water content in the tomatoes and cheese will create a mushy mess if frozen and then baked.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious classic recipes:
- Cajun Fried Chicken
- Easy Cucumber Salad
- The Best Tuna Casserole
- Mozzarella Stuffed Meatloaf
- Potato and Cheese Pierogi
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Savory Southern Tomato Pie
- 1 baked deep dish pie shell
- 5 large tomatoes sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 sweet onion thinly sliced
- 8 large fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lay tomato slices out onto a paper towel lined baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and let stand 10 minutes to draw out moisture. Reserve some slices for decorating top, if desired.
- Layer tomato slices, onion, and basil into the pie shell. Season with black pepper.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, parmesan, mayonnaise, and sour cream. Spread over the top of the tomatoes to cover the top of the pie. Arrange decorative slices on top, if desired.
- Bake in the preheated 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes, until cheese is lightly browned. Serve hot.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!