This cheesy Tuna Casserole has a made-from-scratch sauce and a crunchy parmesan topping that puts this classic recipe over the top. Your family will love this version!
Tuna Noodle Casserole is a classic American dish. Egg noodles are combined with canned tuna in a creamy sauce and then baked. Peas are a classic addition and sometimes you see corn mixed in as well. Cheddar cheese has become a popular addition to this classic dish to add more flavor.
My Other Recipes
Tuna Casserole dates back to the 1950s when casseroles were a popular dinner item. Originally, this casserole dish was made with non-perishable pantry ingredients as a cheap, wholesome dinner that doesn’t require a trip to the store. These original versions often used some sort of “cream of” soup as well as canned peas. In this updated version, we use fresh ingredients and make our own easy cream sauce for a more modern take on this 1950s favorite.
What is tuna casserole topped with?
Tuna casserole is generally topped with a crispy topping. Popular toppings include a bread crumb mixture, cornflakes, crushed potato chips, or canned fried onions.
What kind of tuna is best?
There are generally two kinds of tuna that you can purchase in the canned goods section at your supermarket: Solid white albacore and skipjack/light tuna. Solid white albacore is more expensive and has a much less “fishy” taste. It has three times the amount of omega-3 fatty acids. Unfortunately, it also has three times the amount of mercury, so consumption should be limited to once per week.
Do you bake tuna noodle casserole covered or uncovered?
Tuna casserole is usually topped with a crunchy topping like bread crumbs or even crushed chips. The casserole should be baked uncovered so that this topping can crisp up during the baking process.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other classic American dinner recipes:
- Best Baked Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Old Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings
- Easy Corn Casserole
- Old Fashioned Green Bean Casserole
- Not Your Momma’s Meatloaf
- Split Pea Soup
Watch the video below where I walk you through every step of this recipe. We include videos with our recipes to help give a visual guide. You can find our full cooking show on YouTube, or right here on the website with their corresponding recipes.
Tuna Casserole Recipe
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 6 ounce cans solid white albacore tuna
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2-3 teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease a 9x13 pan. Cook the egg noodles according to the package directions. Drain and add pasta to prepared pan.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add in onion and saute 5 to 7 minutes, until softened. Stir in garlic and flour and cook 1 minute. Slowly pour in chicken broth and milk and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Once mixture has thickened, stir in peas, and tuna. Pour over pasta in the 9x13 pan. Add in cheddar cheese and toss to coat.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to mix together bread crumbs, parmesan, and olive oil. Sprinkle over the pasta.
- Bake in the preheated oven, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, until bread crumbs are lightly browned. Serve hot.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox ?
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!